Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potted amaryllids from Plant Delights?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 10:23

I've been looking at Plant Delights Nursery's website. They sell a large variety of potted Amaryllids, like Crinums & Lycoris - which appeals to me since the dried out, bare rooted ones you buy in bags take forever to establish, if they do at all.

However, ALL of their potted bulbs are advertised as being in 3.5" pots - that seems VERY small for a large-bulbed plant like a Lycoris...can anyone who has purchased from them tell me what they got? I'd imagine that being EXTREMELY potbound.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potted amaryllids from Plant Delights?

I visited Plant Delights for the first time this fall during one of the weekends that they open to the public. I recall seeing some flowers on both Crinums and Lycoris that they were selling. I think more Lycoris than Crinums were flowering, but there was definitely some of both. I don't recall how big the pots were, but I don't think they were as small as 3.5".

Bill

o
RE: potted amaryllids from Plant Delights?

I bought a Mrs James Hendry crinum. I think it came in a 3.5" pot. I was worried it wouldn't be a good value, as they were pretty expensive. But it was fantastic! It was very root bound, but the roots did not look old, and I untangled them carefully before I planted. The plants established really fast, and best of all the pot contained a mother bulb and several offsets. It was so crammed full of plant material that there literally was almost no soil. It was a great value. I wouldn't worry about the small pot size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here