Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amazing photographs of Fritillaria imperialis, the Crown Imperial

Posted by coolplantsguy z6 Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 10:34

To see some amazing photography of Fritillaria imperialis, the Crown Imperial, check out this blog:

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Imperial

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amazing photographs of Fritillaria imperialis, the Crown Impe

coolplantsguy, thanks so much for sharing this article.

Gives great perspective on sometimes maligned bulb because it's not the easiest to grow. After seeing it's natural "home" I can see why it wants specific criteria.

The Van Gogh painting looks like a contemporary of the his Sunflowers in a vase.

Never knew Crown Imperial came from Persia. F. persica kind of obvious by name but not F. imperialis.

Photo with sea of red flowers on plain is stunning.

Very cool, indeed. :)

o

Cool. I've never had any particular trouble growing them, other than onion maggots or some similar larvae eating them if I forgot to apply Diazinon, Dursban, or in more recent years Imadichloprid to the soil in late spring.

But, they sure do smell bad, that wierd, skunky-chemical smell. I can only imagine what a whole field of them would be like on a sunny, calm day.

o

real nice pictures, they look so cool when there are so many of them.

I remember there used to be someone who would post pictures each spring of their naturalized patch. I think they were in Utah or Idaho or somewhere similar to a sorta-desert climate which the bulbs apparently loved. You could tell the bulbs weren't just hanging on but thriving.

o

Always nice to see habitat pics......some day I would love to travel to see some of the bulbs I grow in their native countries :o) Dan

o

That was very interesting. Thank you!

2 years ago in Late November I traveled to rural Turkey to visit the ancient greek cities of Miletus and Priene. While we were walking the hills I realized that they were carpeted in tulip leaves. They were narrow, so I didn't recognize them at first. The leaves were much like the species Tulip Linifolia I have. I can only imagine what it was like when they were blooming.

o

I only got to know this beautiful bulb when I visited the Kuekenhof Garden in Holland earlier this year. Too bad, I won't be able to grow them over here. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here