Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have Peony bulbs to trade?

Posted by greenbug zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 17, 08 at 10:39

Hi All,

I bought some tulip and crocus bulbs but keep putting off planting them because of the deer which I know will come and eat them up.

I have heard that they leave the peonies alone (only time will tell) so I was wondering if anyone has any peony bulbs to trade/exchange.

Let me know, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have Peony bulbs to trade?

Deer don't seem to want anything to do with peonies - totally deerproof here in my zone 4 yard.

However - herbaceous peonies come from root stock/tree peonies are grafted onto herbaceous root stock - they're not bulbs.

Check out the Peony Forum here on GW for anyone who might have some to trade.

I'm a peony fan, but not a fanatic - they're gorgeous in bloom and a very attractive foliage plant when not in bloom. An all around nice addition to the gardens.

I've gotten some nice ones inexpensively priced at the big box seasonal garden centers. I've also had good luck with the cheap bagged bare root stock appearing in Wal-Mart in the early spring; usually nothing more exotic from there than Sarah Bernhardt or Felix Crousse though.

o

Oh thanks for the quick reply!!
When do they start appearing in Walmart during spring?
I don't always go to Walmart and would hate to miss the sale.

o

Greenbug,
Walmart and other discount stores have them in March and April with the other bagged summer bulbs. The best time to plant peonies, though, is in the fall. If you order them online, the reputable sellers will only divide and ship them August-October. I've ordered from Gilbert H Wild and gotten some huge peony roots for just a little more than the puny bagged ones I find at Walmart. The shipping costs are very reasonable and the selection is extensive at Wild's. Other online sellers may have more new introductions, but you'll pay $28+++ instead of $6-$12 you pay at Wilds. The small bagged ones may not bloom for a few years, so you are better off ordering next spring, planting next fall, and seeing nice blooms the following year. You don't find too many people trading peony roots because they don't have to be divided like other perennials.
Hope that helps!
cindi

o

Hello,

please share peony with me for red one. i can send you.
myids10@gmail.com
thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here