Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Weather report says it is sunny here and not raining...LIARS!

"Stick your heads OUTSIDE!", she says, sourly. I will hold out for later. Every year when I want to plant bulbs, I run into this. When I am ready, it's too cold/and or rainy. I hold off for another day, and another, hoping for a warmer day: only to find myself out of time/out of weather, and have to go plant shivering, wearing gloves and a hat and down coat.

I hope this will stop me from buying any more. Last year I bought locally, in phases. Finished one batch, went back for more. I resist ordering online: by the time it comes, I may be out of luck with planting weather.

Though nothing was ever on clearance locally, that I could see: and the choices were more limited that I remembered. I wonder if the stores are carrying fewer interesting varieties? Has anyone else noticed?

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I was out earlier and it seemed quite nice, but when I checked the temp, saw it was just 41 out...YIKES! I guess it felt nice because the air was still.

Because of already having so many daffs to plant, I have been trying to avoid looking at any local bulbs, though I do need some nice hyacinths for forcing.

A couple of weeks ago I found 4 varieties of botanical tulips I had never seen offered locally before, so had to get a pack of each along with a pack of Ipheion Uniflorum, something I have never had before. I was excited to find them.

The Botanical tulips are
    Odalisque pic
    Little Beauty PIC
    Eastern Star PIC
    Little Princess PIC

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You found the Botanical tulips locally? Wow! I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to say... where? Was this a chain store? I forgot, I have not checked my Menard's yet this year...last year I did really well there...not sure why I have passed them by so far, yet. A self-defense mechnism in action, maybe.

13 years ago

YES, it was MENARD'S...the one place you didn't check. Good Luck!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Sob! Hardly anything left at Menards. I had to hunt all over the store, too. ItâÂÂs like they were all in Christmas product mode already. I had to ask 3 timesâ¦IâÂÂm sure I was sent to where they WERE, at one time. One young thing, when I asked for âÂÂBulbs...like tulips and daffodilsâÂÂ, STILL sent me to light bulbs. IâÂÂm guessing she did not know what my kind of bulb WAS.

To think, last year I made out like a bandit there. Only a few packs of uninteresting bright yellow lilies, and some solid dark pink tulips. Blah. When I expressed disappointment, though, one more eager clerk outside showed me to a decorative display someone had set up to advertise fall planting season. She said they sold out very quickly this year. There in a basket were a few more interesting things. I DID get one package of Little Princess, and Allium oreophilum. I was hoping for Little Beautyâ¦I bought some a few years back when Scheepers had them: they are really charming. It would have been the perfect color for a new bed I have with a lot of purple/silver/pink heucheras. With the orange tones of Little Princess: IâÂÂm not sure where I will put those. It doesnâÂÂt go with ay color scheme I have running. But I couldnâÂÂt leave them behind, now, could I?

I'd too late to start planting today, though: have to hope for a warm day later in the week.

13 years ago

I was hoping for Little Beauty

Would you want to swap a few Allium oreophilum for a few Little Beauty. I'm not sure but I 'think' Little Beauty was 15 for $4.95. I can spare 7 LB for equal value of AO if you are interested.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting