Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weather report says it is sunny here and not raining...LIARS!

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 11:15

"Stick your heads OUTSIDE!", she says, sourly. I will hold out for later. Every year when I want to plant bulbs, I run into this. When I am ready, it's too cold/and or rainy. I hold off for another day, and another, hoping for a warmer day: only to find myself out of time/out of weather, and have to go plant shivering, wearing gloves and a hat and down coat.

I hope this will stop me from buying any more. Last year I bought locally, in phases. Finished one batch, went back for more. I resist ordering online: by the time it comes, I may be out of luck with planting weather.

Though nothing was ever on clearance locally, that I could see: and the choices were more limited that I remembered. I wonder if the stores are carrying fewer interesting varieties? Has anyone else noticed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weather report says it is sunny here and not raining...LIARS!

I was out earlier and it seemed quite nice, but when I checked the temp, saw it was just 41 out...YIKES! I guess it felt nice because the air was still.

Because of already having so many daffs to plant, I have been trying to avoid looking at any local bulbs, though I do need some nice hyacinths for forcing.

A couple of weeks ago I found 4 varieties of botanical tulips I had never seen offered locally before, so had to get a pack of each along with a pack of Ipheion Uniflorum, something I have never had before. I was excited to find them.

The Botanical tulips are
Odalisque pic
Little Beauty PIC
Eastern Star PIC
Little Princess PIC

o

You found the Botanical tulips locally? Wow! I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

o
another source?

Forgot to say... where? Was this a chain store? I forgot, I have not checked my Menard's yet this year...last year I did really well there...not sure why I have passed them by so far, yet. A self-defense mechnism in action, maybe.

o

YES, it was MENARD'S...the one place you didn't check. Good Luck!

o

Sob! Hardly anything left at Menards. I had to hunt all over the store, too. It’s like they were all in Christmas product mode already. I had to ask 3 times…I’m sure I was sent to where they WERE, at one time. One young thing, when I asked for “Bulbs...like tulips and daffodils”, STILL sent me to light bulbs. I’m guessing she did not know what my kind of bulb WAS.

To think, last year I made out like a bandit there. Only a few packs of uninteresting bright yellow lilies, and some solid dark pink tulips. Blah. When I expressed disappointment, though, one more eager clerk outside showed me to a decorative display someone had set up to advertise fall planting season. She said they sold out very quickly this year. There in a basket were a few more interesting things. I DID get one package of Little Princess, and Allium oreophilum. I was hoping for Little Beauty…I bought some a few years back when Scheepers had them: they are really charming. It would have been the perfect color for a new bed I have with a lot of purple/silver/pink heucheras. With the orange tones of Little Princess: I’m not sure where I will put those. It doesn’t go with ay color scheme I have running. But I couldn’t leave them behind, now, could I?

I'd too late to start planting today, though: have to hope for a warm day later in the week.

o

I was hoping for Little Beauty

Would you want to swap a few Allium oreophilum for a few Little Beauty. I'm not sure but I 'think' Little Beauty was 15 for $4.95. I can spare 7 LB for equal value of AO if you are interested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here