Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s_p8987

Freesia questions - growing from bulbs

s_p8987
15 years ago

Hello everyone!

I planted some Freesia bulbs on tuesday, and this morning I already have my first sprout coming up. They are in containers and were in the garage, but since I have my first sprout - I brought them into my sunroom. I would like advice on how to care for them. I'm in Austin, Texas so we are of course, done with our hot weather for this year (although it got up to 70 yesterday!) Do they need full sun? fertilizer? how much water? etc. I know they will die in a freeze, so can they sit in the sunroom all winter or do they need to be outside but with protection? I have never grown them before so your best advice is greatly appreciated!

Samantha

Comments (4)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

My temperatures are probably a little different but not much. Mine are in the garden all year and are about a foot high now but no bloom stems yet. I have them in containers which I move into the shade during the summer when they are dormant. They are in the sun now for the winter. Our winters fall into light freezes which does not hurt them. Al

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

give them as much sun as you can. They like temps in the 70's so it's no surprise that they are ready to jump out.

I'd water them well weekly. They shouldn't need any fertilizer until after they are done blooming.

They will smell so good in your sunroom! Enjoy

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

I found this on the Van E. website. I guess they like the 60s even better than the 70's I remembered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freesia

• vetivert8
    15 years ago

If you are growing the coloured Freesias it could be useful to use some sort of leaf support structure in/around the pot as they have a tendency to flop. (As calistoga said - his are a foot high already and there are flower stems to follow.)

If you can provide shelter such as row covers or plastic cloches - and you can bring in the pots for the heavier frosts - then they would be happy outside in good sun with reliable water and excellent air circulation to avoid any mildew problems. South side of the house with reflected heat from bricks or concrete and with shelter given by the house eaves - and even plunge the pots.

They have a different root system from daffodils. It grows like a semi-transparent carrot root and small offset bulbs form around the bottom of the main bulb. When it's finished growing for the season this long root shrinks and a bulb shape is created again for it to survive the dry season.

In my experience so far, a bigger pot is better than a small one. They resent drying out while in growth and they don't like being crowded. Separating the spawn from the bigger bulbs and growing it on seems to work better than leaving it all together. I think, on balance, I'd opt for a soil-based potting medium than a straight non-soil and I'd probably avoid water crystals (because we usually get good winter rainfall).

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz