Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blossomcottage

Dipping flower bulbs in kerosene?

Marisha
9 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of dipping tulip bulbs in kerosene to keep the critters from eating them? I seem to remember reading it somewhere but can't find any information on it. Do you think it would inhibit the growth of the flower?

Comments (4)

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

That sounds rather extreme, doesn't it?
    I have been trying to avoid chemicals in my garden. I cringe each time someone sprayed glyphosate liberally in his garden or suggested it in the garden. I would definitely not dip my bulbs in kerosene.

People have planted bulbs in wire cages or place chicken wire over the planting area or spread blood meal on top. I have used both chicken wire and blood meal with success.

• Marisha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it does sound extreme. I've done the wire cage thing, I've done the gravel in the bottom of the hole also. Last year I wrapped them in birdnetting and that helped but I have over 100 bulbs to plant and I really can't get my head around making wire cages for all of them or wrapping that many in birdnetting. I know I could just skip planting them but they are so beautiful in spring and one of my favorite flowers. I thought the small amount of kerosene coating the bulb would be minor. I already have a raised bed with hardware cloth in the bottom for tulips but I'd love to plant some in other places in the garden,
    I'm with you about using chemicals, I garden organically and hand pull weeds or use the hoe and have done so for the 50 yrs I've been gardening. I use compost and composted manure for fertilizer. I'm not getting any younger and have to give up most of my perennials because of all the work involved. Bulbs are relatively maintenance free in comparison once they are planted..I just don't want them to be gourmet food for the chipmunks who have plenty of nuts and other things to eat.

• Marisha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, I planted the bulbs without dipping them, and if the little stinkers eat them I won't plant any more. I got 48 of them planted and have 98 to go. I'll just leave it to Mother Nature and prayers. : )

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

What about sprinkling them with hot pepper and ground garlic?