Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just a reminder of what we have to look forward to.

Posted by flora_uk SW UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 12:10

I was looking through some old pictures and found this one. It is a park in Dartmouth, Devon, England taken on April 14th this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just a reminder of what we have to look forward to.

So pretty!

Then my Eeyore nature emerged with the thought: Araucaria and Cordyline! Will no one think of the lawn mowing folk?!

Cheer up, flora. It can't always be floods and howling gales. Snowdrops and squills and Eranthis coming to a garden near you soon!

o

Is the Araucaria really as big as it looks? Judging by the person nearby, I think the trunk is too big to reach around! Must be an overall nice spot, the boats bobbing in the harbour, parks and flower beds...... our snow from Tuesday is finally melting here. Next week I hope to get the last crocus planted.

Here's the tulip patch three years ago. I was also looking at pictures from greener times.

o

Lovely picture, kato_b. Yes the Monkey Puzzle is as big as it looks. They are fairly common over here having been widely planted in the 19th century.

o

I noticed a Norfolk Island Pine in the background. I thought these trees could only grow on the Isle of Scilly in the U.K.

Tammy

o

It's not a Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophyla), Tammypie. They are not hardy here, except, as you rightly say on the Isles of Scilly. It's Araucaria auraucana aka Monkey Puzzle which does well in much of the UK and is fairly common, especially in Victorian era gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here