Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help newbie w/Crinums..

Posted by daniellalell 7 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 8, 08 at 12:13

Help me please..I just recieved some crinum bulbs from a fellow GW'er. I put them in a pot on top of my fridge since it is late in the season, plus I don't know if these types are hardy here. I don't know what kind they are, only labeled "pink" and "wine".
The bulbs are dry, should I water them once in awhile and keep them dormanr for the winter in the basement with my brugs, or should I give them some bottom heat and light to get them going?
Since they are already dry, though they do show a tiny bit of green at the top of their "handle"? should I just let them be dormant?
I planted them as I would amaryllis, the top 1/3 of the bulb above soil, and I also put sand on top of the soil to avoid the dreaded fungus gnats.

Help please, I really dont want to lose these, I have wanted crinums for so long, and they are a cherished gift.
Thank you,
Daniella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help newbie w/Crinums..

Hi Daniella, Well, my established ones just sit in the garage for the winter and come back every spring and bloom nicely......it gets down to a low of maybe 40F in there on really cold nights here in zone 6. If they are a standard hybrid they are generally tough as nails so you should have no problem. best of luck :o) Dan

o

Thanks Dan..do you water them at all over the winter while in the garage, like a cup or so every 4-6 weeks or let them stay dry? Is it an attached garage?

o

Hi Daniella, Mine get no water at all, but again, they are well-established by the time they go in the garage the first time for the winter so the soil will stay barely damp for a couple of months in all likelihood because they are in large pots with no leaves. My species from South Africa and Madagascar are in the basement (more tender) in small pots and get no water at all and are bone-dry, but that is normal for where they live. The garage is attached which is why it never gets below freezing. Best of luck with yours :o)

I did just get in a really rare Crinum acaule from South Africa and I will keep it growing through the winter because as far as it is concerned it is the start of summer and I want to make sure it thrives after being shipped around the world at considerable expense :o) Dan

o

Congrats on the new rare Crinum! I hope to see pix when she blooms for ya!
thank you for all the info, I really appreciate it..I will see what happens with mine, if its starts showing some growth, I will keep it going this winter.
Daniella

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here