Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My irises are sprouting

Posted by jlc102482 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 12:26

I just noticed today that the irises I planted about 3 weeks ago have sprouted. Some are a couple inches tall. We have had some crazy weather and unseasonably warm temperatures, but there is frost every morning now and snow is expected soon. Are my sprouted bulbs goners?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My irises are sprouting

I'm guessing you planted I reticulata or similar. They're cold climate Irises and don't mind either frost or snow.

If you planted something different - please say what sort eg dutch or bucharica or ...?

o

They were a rainbow mix of Dutch irises. I'm worried that I planted all 40 of them for nothing, though thankfully not all of them seem to have come up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's what I planted

o

Sounds that the warm burst broke dormancy in some of them.

You could mulch them with material that lets air through but keeps the frost at bay - twiggy material or fleece. And choose a sacrificial one to see if they are actually harmed by snowfall.

My suspicion, as a zone9er who rarely has snow lay on the ground, is that the snow will insulate. Deep frost is more likely to be unfriendly.

Would plastic soda bottles, tops cut off and placed over the sprouts be an effective way of staving off the frost while letting you snuggle mulch closer and drape fleece over?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here