Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When best to divide italian arum?

Posted by cweathersby NE TX 7b/8a (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 12:45

I love italian arums. I want to divide a couple of big clumps and move around the garden, but I have no idea what time of year would be best for that.
Also, which plants are your faves for winter interest? I've always wanted to try some of the perennial cyclamens, but they are so pricy that I'm scared to risk it.
Thanks in advance,
Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When best to divide italian arum?

When I first got my arum italicum, I found them growing by the roadside in a ditch, about 15 yrs ago. No idea why they were there, but I dug some up green and growing in the early spring, and transplanted them into my garden. They never even wilted, and I have them to this day. I've since transplanted some of the clumps, and they have done fine. I always move them when they are green so I can find them! I suppose the ideal time would be when they go summer dormant, however.

o

I have divided arums in both fall and spring without problems. However, you will get lots better clumps if you leave them alone for as long as you possibly can. They are my favorite plant for winter interest here. I particularly like them mixed with evergreen ferns and evergreen carexes.

I have grown cyclamen too and I love them. They simply must have perfect drainage and as dry a summer as possible. Depending on the variety, they bloom in late summer through early winter and the gorgeous leaves stand through the winter. If you don't have the right conditions for them, Callaway Asarums are a great substitute, though they don't bloom.

Other plants I enjoy during the winter are dwarf Nandinas, hellebores, camellias, pansies (of course), ornamental kales and mustards, and very early blooming narcissus. My Grand Primos are at least six inches tall right now. I have known them to bloom as early as the week after Christmas, but that depends on weather.

o

I'm not sure exactly which variety you mean by 'perennial cyclamen' but if it's Cyclamen hederifolium I would recommend buying a growing plant in a pot rather than the dried corms (nomenclature varies!). They grow in dry shade under a birch tree in my garden and self seed with abandon. (My 'dry' shade is probably a bit wetter than yours.)

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here