Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

A few fall blooming bulbs

bluebonsai101
12 years ago

I've had all of these for some time now, but this is the first bloom for all of them so thought I'd post some pics, even though they are not the best. Hope you like them :o) Dan

Stenomesson incarnatum (I'm pretty sure the taxonomy nerds have now moved this in to Clinanthus and also changed the species name, but this is what I got it as). This is a South American native:

{{gwi:30721}}

Scilla maderensis: I got seeds of this reportedly rare species from Madeira Island off Portugal a few years ago and the largest bulb has finally bloomed (it is a winter grower as you might expect based on where it is from):

{{gwi:30722}}

Massonia echinata from South Africa and also a winter grower:

{{gwi:30724}}

Comments (12)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

Stunning! Thanks for sharing!

Sue

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

My Nerine bowdenii bloom beautifully this time of the year. I also have several Bromelia blooming now. Thanks for posting your gorgeous blooms, beautifully photographed. Al

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

How interesting. I like pictures of the more exotic bulbs, even if I can't grow them outside in my zone. Do you have a greenhouse? Are these in containers then? I sure would like to have seen the whole plant if you take any more pictures. If not, thanks for taking the time to post the flowers at least. The colors on the Clinanthus are especially beautiful.....Maryl

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad you liked them Sue!

Al, My Nerine really do not bloom for me well here, but I routinely get N. krigei to bloom and this year I had two N. huttoniae bloom as well so it was a good year.

Mary, the Clinanthus flowers from a bare bulb so not much to show. The Scilla actually has nicely spotted leaves which is one of the ways to make sure you have the correct species. I do not have a GH, but I wish I did! I have them all in pots and the winter growers go under lights for the winter. At some point I would love to have a GH where I can have them planted in the ground to enjoy. It makes it a lot of work as I have maybe 100 or so winter growers, but it is fun to look at them all while watering, etc. :o) Dan

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Fantastic photography - you must a professional photographer, bluebonsai. Flowers are spectacular - thank you for posting.

• Donna
    12 years ago

bluebonsai, your pictures are always amazing. There must be a story here. So tell us! Are you a horticultural professional? Hobbyist? How did you get into all these rare bulbs, and what is your process to find them?

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nice words. At some point I would like to buy a nice camera with macro lenses, etc to take pics like I used to when I had an SLR of the film variety, but for now I use my daughters old point-and-shoot which is a big step up from mine that is for sure! I keep thinking one of the new micro 4/3 since they have interchangeable lenses, but that would be a hassle when you are traveling and it is hard to justify 2 cameras I suppose.

I am just a hobbyist like most of the rest on GW. Someday I will have a Greenhouse, but not while I have kids in college for the next 7 years that is for sure. I have loved plants/animals since I was very little and got in to classes over the summer 2 years before I was supposed to be allowed to take them because of my interest. We used to collect caterpillars, snakes, turtles, etc. and feed them for the summer before letting them go. I had my first bonsai that my dad got me when I was around 10 (long since gone) and planted/tended the family garden around that same age just because I enjoyed doing it and being outside. In other words; total nerd!

Some of my bulbs I get from friends in trade, but the majority are from importing, which I have been doing for a decade now, as that is the easiest way to get large bulbs of unusual species. I typically organize buys from places like South Africa for a group of like-minded people as that way we defray the costs and everyone gets something different. I just put in a group order for some rare Haemanthus, Gethyllis, Crinum, Strumaria, Massonia, Boophane, etc. so hopefully they will arrive before we get too cold. Anyway, that is my story :o) Dan

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

Sounds like you got bit by the gardening bug when young and the "infection" spread. I did a little research on the Clinanthus family, hoping that I could figure a way out to grow one. Alas, it reportedly likes a cool climate coming as it does from the elevations of Peru. Also I don't have grow lights available for any more plants. Still, thanks so much for introducing me to it. I hope you get a Green House some day and then won't we have fun-lol!!...Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Clinanthus

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do not think you will have a problem with Clinanthus in terms of growing season length and therefore artificial lighting. Mine is totally dormant now as are the rest of its relatives (Stenomesson and Phaedranassa). I wake them up around March or they wake up on their own and then when it finally warms up they go outside in maybe 8 hrs/day of sun and they simply go dormant when the days get too cool. The biggest problem for me is that they are not the most reliable bloomers so unless you have the extra space to try one you may want to go with something that blooms more routinely (maybe because we are too hot and humid as you point out). Glad you liked it :o) Dan

• joe_OC
    12 years ago

Hi Dan,

Please let me know if you ever make available bulbs or seeds of your Scilla maderensis. I have been looking for a good source, but have not been able to find one for it.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

• Hilaryal
    12 years ago

Hi Bluebonsai,
    I've been hunting for a source for scilla madeirensis and stumbled onto this webpage. Would you be willing to share your source? bulbs or seeds. This plant is stunning! As are your pics.
    Happy hunting,
    Hilary

• rredbbeard
    9 years ago

Dan--do you know if your s.madeirensis is a clone or a seedling? If it's not a clone, maybe we can work out a swap for one of your offsets?

I hope everyone's new year is off to a good start!

--Rick

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz