Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

new to tulips- help

novice_2009
14 years ago

I've never planted tulip bulbs before, as my tastes tend towards wildflowers and foilage. Also, I have limited sunny areas to plant. Well, spotted a bag of Queen of the Night tulip bulbs- a deep purple - and couldn't resist.

They will look so cool against this old white clapboard house I think. Some questions- must they get full sun?

I have an area that gets full sun only until trees leaf out.

Also, can they be planted in containers?

What plants do you think would compliment these tulips-not sure about how long foilage or blooms last. Completely unsure about what would look good around them! Do they like light, moderate, or lots of H2O?

Any tips or advice would be soooo appreciated. Don't want these beauties to go to waste!

TIA

Comments (7)

• rickardo
    14 years ago

dark purple should be great w/a white background. Most nurseries have pamphlets about growing in containers in single or multiple layers. Sorry but that's the only question I have the answer for

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well thanks ricardo. This might be just another learning experience by trial and error I guess!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

I would avoid planting in containers, that might be more error than trial! Bulbs are tricky in pots in the open garden, you really need to pay attention to them if you have anything close to a icy winter.

They will like full sun and don't mind some shade once the trees leaf out. The flowers should last two weeks, longer if the weather is cool, shorter if you get some high temps. How about getting some hot pink tulips to mix in? or maybe some pansies or smaller violas to fill in around their feet?

• kentstar
    14 years ago

Yeah, go ahead and plant them in the ground. They'll be fine in a place that gets sun until the trees leaf out. Mine were planted in the same sort of conditions of sun, and this is what I got:

{{gwi:15652}}

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Just so you know, The Queen of the Night will likely only give you good blooms next spring and not much in subsequent years.

They are not one of the 'perennial' types of tulips, like the Darwin Hybrids and the specie tulips.

Wild/ specie/Botanical perennial tulips

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: About perennial tulips

• kentstar
    14 years ago

How true chemocurl! I won't have the same display next spring lol. Only ones that will still be there to bloom maybe are my Darwin Hybrid "Apricot Impressions" which in this pic were already done blooming for the season.

• Carla1
    14 years ago

I've grown tulips in containers in the past w/ mixed results. (They were planted in pots in an area that only got sun in the afternoon when I lived on the zone 6/7 border.) One year, all the orange tulips I planted came up and were beautiful. Another year I planted about a dozen pink & white tulips in pots and only three came up. I'm now in zone 5 and have planted green & white tulips and yellow tulips in pots this year but I've caged them with wire to keep the squirrels out. That's the only way I'll get tulips in this area, I've been told.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio