This was my first bulb planting in my new garden. :-(
I've tried mothballs and mulching.

Any advice humbly appreciated.

Newbie gardener,
Debbie

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening cartoons

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving my bulbs from demon squirrels?

I had the same problem , though not quite as bad as yours. I tried sprinkling cayenne pepper but they just dug through it. One reader here suggested putting large rocks over the area you planted, and this sounds to me the best way, other than using cages (who wants to go through all that trouble of cutting, forming and burying cages).

With all the leaves falling off the trees now, you could try mulching newly planted corms (most of them are on sale now too)with a foot of leaves, see if they bother to dig through that. And if you chase them away everytime you see them, perhaps they may associate your garden with having a risk of getting eaten and avoid it if they have easier targets (my neighbours must wonder why i run out of the house in my morning robes so often making a shhhh noise, then go back as quickly back into the house).
Once the ground is frozen solid, u're safe. Now comes the next challenge, apparently i hear those demon tree rats eat crocus leaves and flowers too....here we go again....

o

I have been using the following with good results. They are more readily available to me than spray:

-Chicken wire placed over the area anchord down with bricks or rocks
-Blood meal
-Rocks, bricks

o

I'm having the same problem. I bought bird netting and archored it over the areas I planted the bulbs; then I covered with pine straw. So far the pine straw looks undisturbed. Hopefully, in the spring, I'll just be able to lift the bird netting and remove the pine straw all at the same time.

o

Debbie
I must say that your Demon Squirrels story is hilarious. Cute site.
I have nothing to add to the previous posts except this..
If the squirrels don't get your bulbs the chipmunks will ;)))

o

Oh, and by the way, the deer around us seem to think that crocus buds are the tastiest right before the open. Same for tulips.

You may want to stick with daffs and alliums (onion family).

o

Move to Galveston. We don't have chipmunks and few squirrels. Mine eat peanuts and bury pecans in the yard but never dig up and eat anything. Tally Ho!

o

Lucky you. What the deer don't eat here the rabbits, groundhogs and squirrels get!

o

Thanks SO much for all the advice, everyone!

In response to my post, by the way, I got a letter from the "Squirrel Liberation Front". I've entered the URL in the "here's a link that might be useful" field, hope it works...

Debbie

Here is a link that might be useful: Letter from the Squirrel Liberation Front

o

Caveat: I have NOT tried this, but a friend said that if you put the bulb in a plastic mesh bag (such as onions come in) and secure it with a twist tie, the squirrels can't chew through the plastic to get to the bulb. Would they dig it up, bag and all, and nibble the bulb through the mesh? I have no idea, but she said the method works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here