Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs interplanted with clump-forming liriope?

Posted by rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 4, 08 at 13:30

Does anyone do this and how does it work? I picked up a good buy on one of the very tall varieties of Liriope muscari and am planning on filling a tiny "glade" backed with shrubs with them. I thought perhaps I could tuck some narcissus or other bulbs in among them, similar to interplanting with daylilies, but am hoping for feedback here first, including any interplanting with short liriopes too. Mine is not one of the running liriopes in case that makes a difference. Thanks, and happy planting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs interplanted with clump-forming liriope?

I don't see why it won't work as long as the bulbs are not directly under the liriope's roots. Their root systems are so dense I seriously doubt anything could make its way up through them. You might plant the liriope, say, a foot apart and plant your bulbs precisely in the center point between the clumps.
The problem would come when it's time to reduce the size of the liriope clumps. You would have to be very careful not to cut your bulbs by putting the shovel in as close to the liriope clump as possible. This is how I do my daylilies and it really helps to wait to divide them until the bulbs are beginning to emerge in the fall. That way you know right where to put the space tip.

o
RE: Bulbs interplanted with clump-forming liriope?

• Posted by rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 6, 08 at 8:13

Thanks, Donna. I'm going to try it. Maybe a white varietyamong all the dark green... The tip about dividing in autumn is going to be very helpful. It's a new garden, and I'm looking forward to doing daylilies with narcissus in another area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here