Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cyclamen persicum outside - how long?

Posted by parodise Germany (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 13:40

Hello everyone,
I was wondering how long I should/could keep my florist's cyclamen outside (sunny balcony)? I have 2 varietes - a large-flowering one and mid-sized cyclamen. Our nights are 38-48F and during daytime temps stay between 50-62F. This week should be in the same range, later it should gradually start getting colder. The plants are still blooming, the medium is kept moist. Should I treat the large cyclamen differently from the midsized ones? Something tells me the larger ones might be a bit more tender and sensitive than the smaller ones and I do keep my large cyclamen at home in a cool room, it is also actively blooming.
I'll appreciate any comments - just curious how sturdy your plants are... Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cyclamen persicum outside - how long?

I'd bring it in when you are regularly getting nights of less than about 5c. They can take cool but they can't take frost. Once inside they want to be as cool as possible and in bright light but not hot. I think the smaller ones are tougher but even they won't take deep freezes.

o
RE: Cyclamen persicum outside - how long?

Floral_uk,
that's what I guessed too. I'll follow your advice to keep them outside till the temps start dropping below 5C. I live in an area where people have lots of cyclamen out in their gardens/baskets/pots for fall decoration. So far the plants I have been observing in other people's gardens have been thriving in the weather we've had. I realize, though, these plants will be left outside until the frost kills them and they will be chucked to compost (sad part of most cyclamen life...). So I don't want to take any chances with mine.
thanks again.
Lena

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here