Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Glad questions

beesneeds
9 years ago

This past spring I purchased several each of 7 different colors of glads. I hadn't had them for years, but since I love them and have the space now I figured they were worth the effort.
I planted them in large buckets for this spring past- I ended up getting them a little late and didn't have an area prepped for them. This fall I brought all the buckets into the solarium right before the true cold hit. And just in case my solarium dipped into freezing temps (which should not happen but better safe than sorry), I decided to pull up the glads to store them till planting in next year.

So I have some questions. Only three of the seven kinds flowered, any idea why this is? All of them had nice plush foliage, but only three bloomed. The buckets were filled with horse compost, was the soil too rich for blooming?
When cleaning up the corms, I noticed some were white, some pink, and some yellow- is the color of the corm indicative of what color the blooms are?
I had a couple doubles from a couple of the glads- but one kind had double corms growing out of every old one! Is doubling normal, or just something that that variety had going on?
One of the kinds had tiny new corms growing out of large old ones- I wasn't sure if that meant they just didn't grow well this year, or if this is a normal trait in some glads? Because in some of the other ones, huge new corms grew out of the old ones.
I live in a zone 5/6 area, and my soil is sandy clay loam. Would it be possible for me to just leave them in a bed if I stack straw bales on top of the bed in the fall, or is it likely they will freeze anyway so I should plan on digging them up every fall? Or can I keep replanting them in containers?
And finally- what happens to the old corms? Are they just spent, never to grow again? Or is it possible that if I plant them, they will grow again? I didn't toss them yet just in case I could get another year out of them.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts