Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Bloom time: species vs. large flowered crocus

Wondering if I can plant them together: hoping the species (mixed colors) would bloom first, finish, then the large flowered crocus vernus (all one color : purple) would bloom afterward. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• dhaven
    13 years ago

That's exactly what will happen, although you may get a bit of overlap depending on weather conditions in the spring. If there is a very late spring, the species may be a week or so slower to bloom, but the large flowered ones would most likely still be at their regular time. Most years, though, this planting will give you two seperate bloom times. As far as I know, all the species commonly called snow crocus bloom quite early, and all the large flowered crocus bloom several weeks later. If you want something to further extend the bloom period, add in some Spanish bluebells, or Siberian squill, or any of the shorter, May blooming alliums.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great! Thanks! Much easier to cover one planting with wire mesh than two!

I have Little Princess species tulips to go in the same area...hope they will bloom with the later purple crocus. Plus, pink allium oreophilum I could put there too...though that is taller.

• dhaven
    13 years ago

The Little Princess should start to bloom just as the large crocus are fading. I am not familiar with the allium oreophilum--could you mean aureophilum? Is it yellow? In any case, it should bloom after or slightly overlapping the Little Princess.

I have found that the very best organic vermin control is provided by a large, very sincere cat. Mine is 14 pounds of solid muscle, and rather imposing to look at, but a complete moosh at heart, except on rodents. If you don't care to get an outdoor cat of your own, the simple trick of putting out a can of cat food a couple of mornings a week will quickly attract one or two furry rodent killers. I live in the middle of no where, have a totally naturalized acreage, and have absolutely no vole/chipmunk/squirrel/rabbit/mouse problems in the garden.

Original Author
    13 years ago

A. oreophilum is pink, and blooms here around may...well after most spring bulbs. I always forget I have it...until it turns up.

Here is a link that might be useful: A. oreophilum

Original Author
    13 years ago

My poor handicapped cat can't go outside anymore. She was my gardening buddy, and I miss her out there. But that is a neat idea to put cat food out!

• dhaven
    13 years ago

I'm familiar with that allium under the common name of ostrowskianum. Sorry to hear about your handicapped cat--I once had a garden helper cat that would jump up on my back as I crawled around on all fours weeding, curl up, and actually fall asleep! He's been gone for almost 20 years, and I still miss him. He also used to ambush me from under the larger hostas. Charlie, the current beastie, is more the 'supervise from a discreet distance with occasional polite comments' sort of cat.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz