Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils and Bluebells - how big a mistake is this?

Posted by tam91 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 15:37

I purchased a bunch of mixed daffodils from Sams Club (good deal) and planted them around the yard. Unfortunately, after deciding they would look pretty around a tree I remembered - I planted Virginia Bluebells around the same tree. Sigh.
I hope I didn't kill the bluebells digging to plant the bulbs - no sign of them there.
But - will these bloom at the same time? If not, who's first? Is this going to look awful, or will I get lucky and the one bloom to cover up the other's foliage.
I'm in Illinois, not too far south of the WI border, if that matters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils and Bluebells - how big a mistake is this?

There's no way to tell until spring. Daffodils have a broad season of bloom. Some start in very early spring, and then there is a steady progression of bloom into early summer, all of this depending on the variety you plant. So, there are definitely some daffodils that will bloom with Va. Bluebells, but in a bulb mix, you have absolutely no way to know until they bloom.

If you didn't disturb the Bluebell's roots too much, they should be alright.

Look at it this way. Everyone likes surprises!

o

It seems that bluebells and narcissus would look good blooming together, if they do in fact bloom at the same time.

If you didn't encounter them while you were digging, hopefully it means you missed them.

o

Well, I guess I'll find out then. I can't believe I forgot about the bluebells. Hopefully I didn't kill them - but there's lots more in the back yard, I guess I can always transplant more if necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here