Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant ear bulb help?

Posted by ladycraft 6b MO (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 16:04

My elephant ear bulb had quit produceing leaves during the really hot/dry spell. I had smaller leaves come out the sides. When I dug them up all the BIG bulbs were gone with the exception of part of one. It looked like somthing had eaten the bottom of it leaving kind of a shell for the top but there were leaves growing where the eyes were. The under side was kind of mushy. We haven't had enough rain for them to rot. I looked and did find some tiny white bugs. On another small bulb I found a couple tiny snails. Does anyone have ideas to prevent this next year? I think I will find another spot but where? Thanks Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant ear bulb help?

That is normal - the existing structure (I guess it's technically a corm?) rots away, and is replaced by a new one that grows on top of the old one. It's not unusual to find the mostly rotten remains of the old bulb/corm on the base of the newly developing one.

o

A newly planted bulb when the soil is cold and wet will rot easily, but a plant with roots established will not rot in the same condition. As mentioned above the original bulb will be gone but the plant will survive. I have some over ten years old, still doing well, although the foliage is frosted back yearly. We only get light frosts here. Al

o

Thanks for the encouragement. People in this area don't usually dig each year but I don't seem to be able to get the really big leaves so thought I would ask. I still want big leaves, so I'll keep trying.

o

Al and Dennis, those are great bits of info! I learned something new! Ladycraft, you may know this, but just in case you don't, elephant ears love lots of manure and lots of water. (High temps too, of course.) Here, that is the recipe for growing really big leaves.

o

I didn't know they liked lots of manure. Thanks for letting me know. I retired this month so will be sure to get them more TLC this next year.

o

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dug up one bulb at end of first season in the ground. As you can see, from one bulb I now have several plants. Al

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
At end of second season in ground. My daughter in law modeled for size comparison. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here