Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

Easy To Grow Bulbs - Your Thoughts

sandhill_farms
13 years ago

I'm ready to place a large order of bulbs and contacted "Easy To Grow Bulbs." I had a question that I needed an answer to before ordering so I sent them an email. That was (3) days ago and I've yet to get a response from them. I've never ordered from this company and I place a "Huge" emphasis on "customer service," which apparently this company has none. By their lack of response to a simple question it makes me wonder how long it will be before I received my order, or, if I had problem how they would handle it.

Have any of you had any experience with this company, what are your thoughts? Are there any other companies you feel would be better.

I'm waiting for your responses before I do anything. Thank you so much.

Greg

Southern Nevada

Comments (21)

• luvahydrangea
    13 years ago

I've never used them, but 3 days seems like a long time with no answer. I like Van Engelen and use them almost exclusively for bulbs. But I've never asked them anything. :)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

I am new to ordering bulbs on the internet and I did order a few different things from them a few weeks ago and they were nice size bulbs and in very good condition and I received them pretty quickly. I agree that Van Engelen is wonderful as is Scheepers. I also ordered this year from Tulip World and they sent nice size bulbs too. I would be worried too if their customer service wasn't any better than that. Can you call them? Good luck, Judy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

If you have not heard from them by now, I'd be discouraged and consider ordering from somewhere else.

What did you have in mind to order and in what quantities. There are numerous places with good/great customer service as well as nice bulbs and selections.

Sue

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

I love Brecks.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I have ordered from them several times and been well satisfied with the quality and service. I only order bulbs that are rare so have not had a lot of experience with other mail order sources and have not had the occasion to use their customer service. Al

• dhaven
    13 years ago

If customer service is a key issue for you, I second the recommendations for Van Engelen. They actually state on their home page that if you would like personal assistance with your order, to call them. I've dealt with this company for almost 30 years, and they are consistently outstanding. Top quality bulbs, excellent selection, and wonderful customer service. Their prices are very reasonable, and when things go on sale for 40% off, as they are now, it's hard to resist going wild. Got to admit it, this year I didn't even try to resist--I've put 1200 new bulbs in the ground this year, mostly daffodils.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

I've just bought my first order with them of some amaryllis bulbs. They were very fast to communicate with me via email. I was very satisfied so far with them. They have a pretty good rep so I'm surprised they haven't contacted you.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    13 years ago

Not what many of you are interested in here, I guess, but IâÂÂll post it, FWIWâ¦

I ordered some exotic tuberous begonias from them this spring. Lots...like more than 30. Except for the roseform ones, the really fancy picotee edged ones were nothing like the picture. Not double, not picotee. A contrasting edge, but on an ugly, narrow petalled, almost single flower.

It makes me wonder if other items they sell will be true to name or picture.

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all of you who responded, I think that I'll do business with another company.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Often companies are maligned on Internet Forums and if they warrant it, they should be. This helps all of us. However, when a company does right it's often not mentioned and it should be.

In my OP I was asking about Easy To Grow Bulbs as I had reservations about them. Yesterday day I took a chance and placed an Internet order with them. It was an easy process as their web site is well designed. I just received notification that my complete order is being shipped today, now that's service.

I will definitely be making purchases from them in the future. I just thought that I'd let everyone know.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• sayde
    13 years ago

I purchased Nir Narcissus and an Amaryllis from Easy to Grow Bulbs in the fall. The Narcissus were the worst I have ever had. Have been growing Narcissus for over 30 years, sometimes the cheap bulbs, sometimes better bulbs. These were large bulbs but they formed only one flower on most of the bulbs and about 3 our of 4 just turned brown and never opened. They were very tall and leggy although this was supposed to be a relatively shorter variety. I am so disappointed.

The Amaryllis bulb was the smallest I have ever seen! But it did flower well.

I just wrote to the company but have not heard back yet. I would never buy from them again.

13 years ago

Just yesterday I dug my Gloriosa bulbs I ordered from Easy to Grow Bulbs. They did well their first year and from what I learned last year they will do better this year. I have scanned this years offerings and just did not see anything special. But when I do I will order from them again. Al

• ladychroe
    13 years ago

I know this is a late reply, but next time you want to order online, just check them out at gardenwatchdog.com. It's an online garden store rating site.

Easy To Grow Bulbs has a stellar rating - top 30.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

A note to bulb newbies on a couple of things mentioned above.

Tuberous begonias produce 3 bloom - 2 are male singles & 1 is a female double. Some drop the female bud (the center one) off before it opens so it was recommended to me to detach the 2 males. With tweezers if necessary.

Daffodil bulbs that are single-nosed produce 1 stem. A triple-nosed bulb may or may not produce 3 bloom stems. Depends upon size (maturity).

• jillian64
    12 years ago

One thing to keep in mind re. online customer service. . .

We all assume that every email we send arrives. And therefore, if there's no response, it's because the recipient is slow, doesn't care, etc. Not always the case. A shockingly high percentage of emails that are sent never arrive because: 1) there was a tiny error in the address typed, 2) one of the many online filtering systems intercepts the communication, or 3) sometimes it just happens.

I say this because I worked briefly for an internet company and we'd get calls - not infrequently - asking about why an email that had been sent several days prior wasn't answered. I'd search through all the inbound emails, search again, and still never find the missing one.

So, consider giving a business more than one try before writing them off.

BTW, I've been planting bulbs from Easy to Grow Bulbs since 2008 and have been very pleased with the success. So, I'm actually a big fan.

And Sayde, on the amaryllis bulb size you mention, Easy to Grow Bulbs is one of the few sellers that provides bulb size info for almost everything they list so you can compare costs and size before ordering. Helps to have that size info, for bulbs especially.

And . . . many of the more exotics amaryllis type don't produce - under the best of growing conditions - those really big bulbs that we tend to associate with amaryllis. It's simply tied to their genetics.

Jillian

• bagarden
    12 years ago

I love Easy to Grow Bulbs. I've been a loyal customer since 2007. I've bought tulips, peonies, gladiolus, freesias, dahlias, ranunculus, belladonna lilies, foxtail lilies... you name it. Their bulbs are healthy, high quality and pretty big. (I've compared them with the bulbs sold at Costco, local nurseries, and hardware stores). They all bloomed beautifully, (except for the foxtail lilies, but I think this is because they are hard to grow in my clay soil). I've also purchased perennials from its sister company Willow Creek Gardens and they did a superb job packing the plants. Their customer service is very responsive and they do their best to accommodate your needs. In the email interactions that I've had with them, I get a response on the same day or the next.

Hui

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Where is this company located? Somewhere in NY if my memory serves me right. Some cities were hit pretty hard with Irene last week or week before last. I know one garden blogger up in NY that highly recommends them. Give them another few days or even a week.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

My mistake..they are in San Diego area, according to their website. Didn't notice but most companies have a Toll Free#..try calling them.

• fairfield8619
    12 years ago

I've ordered several times from them and never had a problem at all. The Gloriosa lilies were the absolute biggest that I've ever seen. Everything was shipped quickly and packed well. Several frinds have ordered and had no trouble either. Sometime emails just get lost somewhere- I would try again before passing judgement.

• cara_567
    11 years ago

I used to order from this company but something's changed there. No new products now, gardening info on their blog often isn't correct (whoever writes this clearly doesn't garden), what appear to be leftover amaryllis bulbs from Christmas being sold in April and the last email I sent to their customer service department was never answered. I'm steering clear.

11 years ago

Amaryllis may be only considered as a holiday forced flower, but for those of us in the mild winter of California, they are planted in the garden and bloom usually in late May. I have about 20 with shoots from 2 to 6 inches. Al

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County