Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulip Apricot Beauty Companions

Posted by marcindy z5b Indianapolis% (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 16:54

I love that tulip, but each spring I regret that I have not given it a nice companion, either early perennial or other smaller bulbs. I tried blue hyacinths once, but they did not overlap in blooming time. Any ideas what could work? Maybe you have tried a good combination before? Thanks in advance for any suggestion or idea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulip Apricot Beauty Companions

Try grape hyacinths, which bloom a little later than regular hyacinths and are blooming for a longer time.

There are also spring-blooming forget-me-nots that have a really great blue color contrast with Apricot Beauty.

In general, pansies are good companion plants for tulips because of their blooming period; although they are annuals you'd plant them in the very early spring or even the fall and they'd be in full sow in time. The smaller-flowered violas are good re-seeders too so you wouldn't have to re-plant.

o

• Posted by marcindy z5b Indianapolis IN (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 10:37

Thanks pizzuti, it's funny just last night I came across ans article about pansies and the smaller flowered ones that would make good companions for those tulips. I'll give them a try. Thanks for your suggestions.

o

I just got my new issue of Garden Gate magazine, and on the back cover they pair Apricot Beauty tulip with woodland phlox and Gold Coast juniper. I found a phlox called Clouds of Perfume that needs part shade, humus rich soil that matches the color shown. The effect was vibrant and fresh.
That pairing inspired me to think about planting lady's mantle (alchemilla mollis) with my apricot colored daylily and maybe ageratum, as I have more sun and the daylily blooms later in summer. The apricot shade is too pretty to pass up, but I also have found it hard to combine.

o
RE: Apology

I'm so sorry, I just noticed that this was the Bulbs forum. Please disregard the previous post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here