Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quercus_hominis

Crabgrass pre-emergent and spring bulb germination?

quercus_hominis
10 years ago

Last spring I replaced a section of my lawn with a raised flower bed. Unfortunately it seems the soil I brought in was riddled with crabgrass. After a few weeks of crawling around almost every day pulling out new crabgrass shoots by hand, I put down corn gluten pre-emergent which at least slowed down the stuff. I've concluded I need to cover the bed in corn gluten every 2-3 months to save my sanity. The corn gluten works by essentially preventing seeds from germinating, so it hasn't had any effect on the summer annuals I had transplanted into the bed.

My original plan was to put in a lot of bulbs for spring (tulips, crocus, daffodils). Being in zone 9a outside Houston I believe the time to plant these would be around Christmas after refrigerating them for a few weeks.

My question is, since the corn gluten blocks seeds from germinating, would it also block bulbs from sprouting? I'm wondering whether to bother buying and chilling and planting a bunch of bulbs, only to have them stay dormant in the soil because of the pre-emergent controlling the evil crabgrass.

Thanks for any insights anyone might have.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living