Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexiegurl09

Need help about when to plant bulbs

lexiegurl09
12 years ago

Hi everyone. This is my first year planting bulbs and I have numerous types of tulip bulbs and some hyacinth bulbs from last year (I know they may not bloom as well) but I am confused about when to plant them. I just got them within the past week and have more on the way. I now realize from what I understand that these bulbs need to be prechilled in the refrigerator. How long do they need to be prechilled? 8 weeks? That would put me planting them in the third week of January. Is this too late? Would 6 weeks be better? But then at the same time, I also read that if you plant them out too soon after precooling, they may bloom too early and get damaged by any strange weather (very cold or hot periods), and if you plant them too late it will get too hot to allow them to bloom properly. So my question is what should I do? When should I plant them and how long should they stay precooled? I have them in the refrigerator as of today (with no fruits or veggies) and will put the other ones in once I get them. Thank You for all the help!!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts