Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help about when to plant bulbs

Posted by lexiegurl NC 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 17:44

Hi everyone. This is my first year planting bulbs and I have numerous types of tulip bulbs and some hyacinth bulbs from last year (I know they may not bloom as well) but I am confused about when to plant them. I just got them within the past week and have more on the way. I now realize from what I understand that these bulbs need to be prechilled in the refrigerator. How long do they need to be prechilled? 8 weeks? That would put me planting them in the third week of January. Is this too late? Would 6 weeks be better? But then at the same time, I also read that if you plant them out too soon after precooling, they may bloom too early and get damaged by any strange weather (very cold or hot periods), and if you plant them too late it will get too hot to allow them to bloom properly. So my question is what should I do? When should I plant them and how long should they stay precooled? I have them in the refrigerator as of today (with no fruits or veggies) and will put the other ones in once I get them. Thank You for all the help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help about when to plant bulbs

Relax. It's not that hard. The tulip bulbs need 8 to 10 weeks of chill in the fridge. Be sure to keep all fruit in a drawer by itself and the tulips in another place in the fridge. Planting in Mid to late January will be fine. The tulips will bloom right on schedule. I do like to order early blooming tulips since I have found that the blooms last longer in cooler weather; however, the Darwins do very well here as long as the temperatures don't rise beyond eighty for too long.

I have never pre-chilled hyacinths. They do just fine in the ground here from year to year, though the blooms are not as large after the first year. I believe this is normal and not because I don't dig, chill, and replant each year.

FYI, I plant tulips as annuals. As soon as they finish blooming, I just pull them out and throw them away. The foliage will return year after year for many years, but you'll only get about ten percent of them to rebloom and the blooms are dramatically smaller. Just for your comparison, I live in east central Mississippi, about 200 miles north of the Gulf Coast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here