Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I plant perennials ON TOP of flower bulbs?

Posted by robcorreia 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 17:47

Hello fellow gardeners,
I started a new bed by planting lots of different bulbs and now I need some hardy perennials to cover the area.(It's the foundation planting in my front yard).
Can you plant ANY kind of plant by flower bulbs?

Do you plant those ON TOP of the bulbs? Do they grow THROUGH the perennials or should I avoid planting on top of the bulbs? Can't seem to find the answer anywhere, so I really appreciate any help from my experienced friends!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I plant perennials ON TOP of flower bulbs?

I plant bulbs in fall, and the perennials in spring. However, in no-frost, low-frost areas, there isn't any clear time for planting one thing and not another. You could stick with low-growing "gentler" ground cover perennials right on top of the bulbs. By "gentler", I mean NOT English Ivy--very few bulbs can push through that. Sedums would probably work okay, and vinca is pretty much okay in my experience. Or, you could wait until the bulbs start to come up (the spring planting time in my area) and then plant between the bulbs. That's probably the safest option with already-planted bulbs.

o

You can also plant annuals on top of bulbs if you want to save the area for bulbs to either repeat themselves the following year, or for you to replant the area with bulbs. You can change the annuals you choose each year as well.

o

I have over planted bulbs with pansies and had blooming plants all winter with the bulbs easily coming up through them, in my case Jonquilla hybrids. Al

o

Guys, thank you so much for all your advice!

o

I stick bulbs below my lantana and salvias. Usually, I plant the daffodils down deep them plop the perennials on top in spring right between the foliage.

Later, if I want to add more bulbs, I sut the perennials off to stubs in winter, then plant my tulips around the base and through the roots. These plants are so tough they don't seem to mind...unless of course I pull the roots out.

I do the same with canas but they are harder to plant around later and tougher for the bulbs to come through.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here