Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cochicum is sprouting already!

Posted by pitimpinai z6 Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 17:57

Are any of yours sprouting?

This is odd. I always see Daffodils & Crocus sprout in fall, but never Colchicum! After nearly 15 years, I finally had enough to divide this year. I hope they won't get killed in February. Bummer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cochicum is sprouting already!

Frost hats, pitimpinai. They should be ok with frost to -7C or lower, though.

I'm curious. When do yours usually come into leaf? Mine always have a quiet spell after flowering then start into leaf late May-early June. They're just yellowing off now.

o
RE: Cochicum is sprouting already!

Vetivert8, the temperature here usually drops to at least -25C in late January-February. Anything that leaves out in late fall when it should not usually is killed then. I lost a favorite helleborus one winter for this reason.

Normally my Colchicum sleep all winter and come to leaf in April, which is later than other spring bulbs. By July they look simply awful. Then the flowers pop up in October. I had such a spectacular show this year that people took notice.

It sounds like yours have about the same growth cycle as mine. It must be the beginning of summer for you, is it not?
I would love to visit your country some day and see vegetation unlike anything on earth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here