Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Washing dug up tender bulbs/tubers ?

I just dug up some dahlias and calla lilies. In the process I ran across a few tuberous begonias as well. I thought I had brought all the pots containing those indoors before the first frost some weeks ago: I guess I had forgotten that these particular pots had begonias too. They look firm and healthy, though, even though we have had some nights below freezing.

I have them all soaking in the laundry tub right now. But maybe that was not right. I know I need to wash the dirt off the dahlias before storing them, but IÂm not sure about the callas and begonias. The begonias are hairy, IÂm not sure the dirt CAN be washed off.

This was my first year growing callas. They were not that great, but maybe next year will be better, with the tubers grown larger. They still have stems firmly attached even though frost killed the leaves a long time ago. Store them with the stems? To my surprise 2 of the flowers also had seeds, which I had not noticed. I brought those in too, though IÂm not sure what to do with them.

What do I store the callas in? Last year I stored the begonias in peat in the basement and they did fine. ItÂs a finished basement and not really cold, but at least they lived. I have tried storing dahlias several times and have not had luck, but I will try again as these. I will not divide them, but store them whole, as I can never see eyes anyway.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm