Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevexyz

Naturalizing bulbs. HELP!!!

stevexyz
15 years ago

I have bought many many Naturalizing bulbs. Can they still naturalize propertly with a 1-2 inch layer of mulch? Also do the seeds need to be burried to be able to grow? Can they tolorate the Texas heat. I live in Dallas, Texas. How often do they need to be fertilized?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (6)

• elleni
    15 years ago

What kind of bulbs did you buy? What zone does the package say the bulbs are suited for?

• Donna
    15 years ago

For your sake, I am hoping that the bulbs you purchased are really, truly bulbs that naturalize in our zone, and aren't just bulbs that are in a package that says "naturalizing". The word naturalizing means that if you plant the bulb in a climate and soil that it likes, it will multiply through making new bulbs underground (offsets) and by sowing seeds around. The trick is to find the right type of bulb. If you need more info with regard to varieties, post back as to which specific type of flower bulb you want (daffodils, crocus, etc), and I or someone else can give you more specific advice.

Assuming that you have good bulbs for the south, they will like the mulch layer on them. They'll come right up through it with no problems. I assume that when you said "seeds" you meant bulbs. Bulbs will sometimes sprout while still in the package. It won't hurt anything as long as you get them planted pretty soon. Be aware that most bulbs in the south do not need to be planted as deeply as bulbs up north, especially if you garden in clay. My soil is very tight, so I plant large daffodil bulbs no more than four inches deep and smaller bulbs even less. About twice the height of the bulb will be about right.

You can sprinkle a little bulb food in the planting hole as you plant, or not. The bulbs already have the bloom formed inside them. Next spring, after they bloom, is when they can use a sprinkle of fertilizer. If you have decently fertile soil, they may not need that. The most important thing is to let the foliage stand next spring until it begins to turn yellow. The leaves are doing the important job of feeding the bulb and helping it form a bloom for the next year.

One more thing. Even if you may not have chosen bulbs that will naturalize in the south, plant them. Chances are very good that they will come up and bloom for you next year, and maybe even for two or three more years before they dwindle away. If you have tulips or hyacinths, they will need to spend 8 to l0 weeks in the fridge before you plant. Don't chill them in the same drawer with your fruit.

• stevexyz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have planted around a fern tulips, dutch irises, daffodils, leucojum aestivum, and crocuses. They all say for zones 5-9.

• stevexyz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes i meant bulbs not seeds

• Donna
    15 years ago

As I said, the tulips will be a one year only deal. If you didn't chill them, maybe not even that, but live and learn. The dutch iris, daffodils (depending on the variety) and leucojum should do very well for you. I have no experience with crocus.

• stevexyz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor