Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Bloom time chart for daffodils?

Is there a chart somewhere that lists bloom times of various classes of daffodils? I have way too much "midseason". Or is it not by class? With tulips itÂs pretty straightforward. I had a sequence "figured out" before planting last year but it did not work out at all.

For example, it always seems like my doubles bloom last and Cheerfulness latest of all. But I donÂt know if thatÂs true of doubles in general or just of the ones I have.

Comments (12)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

There is no chart that I know of. If you know the names of your daffs, you can look them up on Daffseek. It tells the bloom time for most of them as well as the height, among other things.

The bloom times I have seen on the daffs I've looked up were
    extra early,
    early,
    mid season, (the majority of them are mid season)
    late,
    very late,
    and less common, extra late.

I had not seen any extra late ones until I looked up a recent purchase named After All (how appropriate) and saw it was extra late.

There is no one division that blooms earlier or later than other divisions.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffseek...just fill in a name.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks: I've bookmarked it. I can use this to make my own chart, at least for the ones I already have.

Cheerfulness IS listed as very late, which makes sense. I had bought the similar-looking Bridal Crown last year, wanting it to be late, only to have it bloom too early. That is listed as midseason. I have hopes of some rearrangement next summer (hah....)

• ontnative
    14 years ago

When I plant my narcissus and tulips, I use plant markers and write on them the name, height, time of bloom (e.g. early, mid., late, etc) and colour. This info. is usually on the bulb package. When I get out to the garden with all my various groups of bulbs, this info. helps me decide where to plant each type. I can plant earlies next to lates, etc. to spread out the bloom.

Original Author
    14 years ago

The problem I've found is when the info on the bulb package is inaccurate. That's why I was hoping (initially) that class might help determine. For example, I have a couple of Cyclamineus, which are early. But other classes are all over the map in terms of bloom time. I just finished looking up everything on Daffseek (thanks, Sue)and making a chart. Hopefully this will help.

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Sue, thanks for that link. Very helpful, and I have it bookmarked now.

14 years ago

Yes Linnea, I too think often the package info is pretty inaccurate, or just rather generic. By comparing the bloom times on Daffseek, you can get a much better idea of what all will be blooming at the same time and well as those that are earlier or later.

HERE is another site of interest, describing the 13 different daffodil divisions as well as a description. I bought Pacific Rim, Division 2, and am most excited about seeing it in bloom next spring. It won Best of Show at a local show this year and it went on my gotta-have list then.

HERE is some more info about classifications and colors.

Sue

14 years ago

I just finished looking up everything on Daffseek (thanks, Sue)and making a chart. Hopefully this will help.

Hey Linnea, if you think you might be digging some next year to move them around, might you maybe be interested in swapping some? I can send a link to my spreadsheet showing what all I already have (thus don't need), as well as what I 'could' have available for trade if I know to dig it at the 'right' time. I have several that are needing dug, and divided. I might try trading a few, or doing some naturalizing, or donate some to the local Daff Soc for bulb sales or maybe all 3, if I get enough dug.

Sue

• ontnative
    14 years ago

A website I have used to determine what blooms with what is Brent and Becky's Bulbs. It's not meant to be used in a scientific way, but if you click on one cultivar of narcissus, pics on the right side of the page will show you other bulbs that bloom at the same time. As I said, it's not a specific list, which would be easier to use, but it's sort of fun to see the possible combinations you could plan. If you "exit" from the page, eg. Ice Follies, and then come back to it, it shows you "Ice Follies" with another group of bulbs that bloom simultaneously. I think that when specific cultivars bloom may be determined partly by the climate in which they are grown. Maybe that's why the cultivar info. on the package does not always work for you, while it's quite accurate for me (in my zone).

Original Author
    14 years ago

IÂm not getting follow-ups e-mailed to me from Gardenweb, so IÂm sorry if I have not answered anyone. I will check up here now and then.

All this info is very useful, and I will explore these later links tonight (when it is too dark to work in the garden).

Sue, I have PMÂd you.

• janet_starmortgageky_com
    13 years ago

love to know all the different bloom time chart for daffodils in my zone for KY

• Donna
    13 years ago

Oh man, a chart would be so nice...My experience indicates that sequence and timing of bloom can vary widely from year to year depending, it seems, on weather. We had nearly four weeks of temps in the seventies that ended last week. All of my mid season bloomers came up, formed buds and bloomed out within a two week period, and right alongside my early ones. Some of my latest daffs are blooming right now. It was glorious while it lasted, but an event that usually lasts nearly 3 months is almost over....

Still, it has been interesting. The Ice Follies and Trevithians are once again showing their worth. They are still as lovely as when they came up, though many that bloomed after them are completely gone now.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    13 years ago

I have two groups of St Keverne, one that I planted last year (has already bloomed) and one planted this year, which hasn't bloomed yet. I'm guessing it just takes a while to settle into the schedule for my climate. Have others seen this?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?