Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gunsrd

Bulb containers in rain

gunsrd
10 years ago

I have planted some tulips and hyacinths in containers. I keep them out during the day for sun, and move them into the garage during night so that they don't get chilly. What is the recommendation when it starts raining during the day? Can I still leave them outdoors?

Comments (9)

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Is there a specific reason why you don't want them to get chilly? I may not know how they're grown in CA but in NY, we leave them planted all winter outside; be it in containers or the ground. And yes, as long as the containers have proper drainage, rain is just fine for them. May be someone else would come along with more info.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I agree with surya55 - your bulbs actually NEED a chill. They stay outside all winter here too. These are not tropical plants. Rain, snow, whatever.

• gunsrd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had read online to keep it in an unheated garage in harsh winter places or else they will freeze solid. I will take your recommendation and leave it outside. It is one less thing to worry about for me :).

Thank you!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

The key word is 'harsh'. Rain doesn't qualify as 'harsh'. Is a pot of soil likely to freeze solid in your zone? My pots may freeze very occasionally during the winter here but the main damage is to the terracotta, not the bulbs. If surya55 can leave hers out in NY z7 I should think yours will be fine in CA z9

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

gunsrd your first post indicated you were in zone 9 CA. Your second posting showed no zone and mentioned HARSH winters. Which is it? Al

• vetivert8
    10 years ago

If you are in zone 9 then it is unlikely that your winter will be harsh. Your pots can freeze solid overnight and they will have thawed by lunchtime - and your hardy bulbs won't mind at all.

All your spring bulbs will be actively growing over the winter months. They need the rain. Leave them outside.

You can even leave such plants as Gloriosa, Freesia, and tuberous begonias, outside over a zone 9 winter and be at least 80% sure they'll be back for the following season.

So long as your pots aren't 'skimpy small' and there is plenty of room for the huge quantity of roots these bulbs make over the winter then they won't need your TLC. You can use your precious no frost space for the truly tender.

• gunsrd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I am in the San Francisco bay area, and we almost never get any snow, and the lows I have seen are in the 30s F. I don't think the temps qualify as harsh :).

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    10 years ago

Will be interesting to see if we get much rain this year.

You might want to make sure about your drainage -- I wouldn't use saucers with these pots, and I put mine up on rocks (cheaper than buying those "feet"). You don't want them sitting in water, imo.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I have hundreds of potted bulbs out in the rain, averaging up to 30 inches, during the rainy winter. For most of them , even with good potting soil, I will need to repot into new mix at least every two years. Frosts into the low twenties are to be expected and do them no harm. My potted freesias are just about ready to send up blooming stems. Al

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County