Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name of vanilla color hyacinth?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 12, 09 at 19:55

Last fall I planted some mixed color hyacinths. The package had shown just white, blue, blue-lavender, and pink. When the "white" bloomed, it was actually this luscious creamy vanilla colorjust mouthwatering.

Any idea what that could actually be, by name? I could see having a lot of them. I saw some "White" in the store today, but if it is really white white, then I dont want it. I see the online people still have "white" too. When is white not white (but better)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name of vanilla color hyacinth?

Hi Linnea!

I wonder if it might be Hyacinthus orientalis L'Innocence which is an ivory white. I see Van Eglens just reduced the price on them (quantity 25) to $13.13 (regularly 17.50) per their 25% off list HERE Surely you can find 25 places to tuck them in, can't you?

Have you been lost again lately?...evil laugh

Sue...

Here is a link that might be useful: Get 'em while they last...

o

Unfortunately they were sold out before I could check. But in truth, this is a strategy that has worked well before.check online AFTER anything I would be interested in is gone.

"Have you been lost again lately?...evil laugh" (how do YOU make italics?)

Me??? course not. Just doing same old, same old

I was in the drugstore waiting in line today, and I suddenly noticed all this dirt under my fingernails. What the heck?, thought I. How did I go out like that and not notice? My errands seemed to take extra long todayI swear the sun was lower than it should have been, on my way home. But maybe its just the days getting shorter.

o

<b>Bold</b> will give you Bold

<i>Italics</i> will give you Italics

<font size=+4>Font size=+4</font> will give you Font size=+4

o

Ah, thanks.

Though heaven knows I can be loud enough without all those.

o

Linnea, would it have been 'Yellow Queen'?

Here is a link that might be useful: vanilla color hyacinth?

o

Well, it's not yellow, though, not even pale yellow. I wish I had taken a picture but the camera was not working at that time. I hope it makes it through the winter.

It is really the color of natural vanilla ice cream. Maybe french vanilla. It even has those tiny brown vanilla bean specks like the natural vanilla has...oh wait, that's dirt.

Why do I feel hungry all of a sudden?!

o

Is City of Haarlem too creamy?

o

'City of Haarlem' matures to an ivory color, according to Bluestone. Maybe that's why you remember it as cream/ivory. Is that possible?

o

I just looked at that one online, and it's possible. I might get it in the hopes it's right. It's pretty anyway. Thanks!

o

The first year I got 'City of Haarlem' most turned out to be a nice vanilla color. Last year new bulbs produced blooms that were more pale yellow.

Did someone have to mention the specks of vanilla bean in the ice cream? Luckily I'm not overwhelmingly tempted to have ice cream once weather turns below 60 F unless someone douses it with gobs of hot fudge...LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here