Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tastiness to squirrels of Chionodoxa and Scilla bulbs?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 19:59

I will use wire mesh over the tulips and crocus I bought, because I know they love those, but I can't recall if they eat Chionodoxa and Scilla bulbs.

Wire mesh is the only reason why I even HAVE tulips and crocus. I had stopped buying the bulbs, until I found that mesh worked. But it's tough enough to cut, that I'd rather not use it if I don't have to.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tastiness to squirrels of Chionodoxa and Scilla bulbs?

They don't eat Scilla, not sure about Chionodoxa.

o

They will dig anything up that you plant, just to see what you put in there. I haven't had any problem with them eating either one, tho I have had to replant them more than once.

o

I have lots of chionodoxa naturalized in a wooded area, and the squirrels have never bothered them, unless they are storing a nut in the ground where there happens to be a bulb. Even then, they do not eat the bulbs, and if I come across one that's been dug out, it's a simple matter to push it back into the ground. Both these bulbs will self seed and spread nicely, either in a woodland setting or in full sun.

o

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 23:00

I plant bulbs and follow up with some Milorganite and wood ashes on top of it.

Squirrels seem uninterested. haven't even had to replant a single bulb this year.

~Chills

o
sorry forgot something

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 23:00

I put the milorganite and ashes on top of the soil after planting and tamping down the soil.

~Chills

o

Milorganite is that fertilizer made at sewage treatment plants, right? Maybe it still has enough odor to deter the pests. I don’t have access to ashes. Is the Milorganite readily available?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here