Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calgary Narcissus flower not opening

Posted by brander z5 WV (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 20:06

For two years now, since I planted them, most of my Calgary Narcissus have shriveled up and died rather than the bloom opening. There are other daffodils bulbs near same area that bloom reliably year after year but for some reason these Calgary just shrivel up. I have photos to attach if I can figure out how to do it. Right now I don't see a place to upload photos. One thought... the flower head looks like damage from thrips. Is that a possibility. If so, I wonder why it would affect only the Calgary and not any other daffodils planted nearby.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calgary Narcissus flower not opening

Hi brander,

Welcome to The Bulb Forum.

For two years now, since I planted them, most of my Calgary Narcissus have shriveled up and died rather than the bloom opening.
I suspect that what you are experiencing is bud blast, which is more common in some cultivars than it is in others. The ones that most commonly have this problem are usually late blooming ones, or double ones ( Division 4.) In looking at Calgary at Daffseek, I see it is a double that blooms mid to late season.

Bud blast can also have environmental causes too.

From the link below:
Buds Dry Before Opening; Brown Spotted Leaves, Stems Due To Weather
Daffodil buds, especially double-flowered types, may dry out and turn brown before opening due to extreme environmental conditions. “Blast” means that the buds have been nipped by either a hard freeze or hot spell at a critical time. Lack of sufficient moisture during the growing season contributes to the problem.

HERE is more info about Flower Blasting.

If they don't bloom for you next spring, and you don't want to give up on them, I'd suggest you dig them at the proper digging time (about 6-8 weeks after their normal bloom time) and cure and store them for planting next fall once the soil temps have cooled. I'd suggest planting them at the suggested depth, in an area on your property that has a microclimate...that would be where the snow is the first to melt off, thus a bit warmer. That 'might' cause them to bloom a bit earlier than their usual mid to late season, and thus take care of the bud blast problem.

Good luck...hope to hear how they do for you next spring. Don't be a stranger.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Problems of Daffodils

o
RE: Calgary Narcissus flower not opening

Don't blame yourself, my calgary rarely opens, even though several other doubles open fine. Sure the others blast every now and then, but calgary shrivels more years than it opens. I tried tossing it a couple years ago but then couldn't bring myself to waste perfectly healthy bulbs.

A person with more sense than myself would get rid of the calgary and plant a variety better suited to my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here