Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Relative size of minor bulbs

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 20:10

I ordered from Van Engelen and the order arrived today. I was surprised to see how big some of the bulbs were for Crocus and Scilla.

I'm wondering if this is "normal". Thus far I have bought most minor bulbs locally.

Local Species Crocus : about dime to nickel sized
VE Crocus Vernus "Twilight" half dollar sized.

I couldn't believe these were crocus! But I have only bought species crocus and tommasianus varieties before.

VE Scilla Spring Beauty : between quarter to half dollar sized. They looked like little baby hyacinth bulbs!

Are big bulbs the norm for these varieties? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have big bulbs, just thought tucking the minor bulbs in was going to be so easy! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Relative size of minor bulbs

Arrgh! You got the Crocus Vernus "Twilight" I wanted! I ended up getting the "FLOWER RECORD". They should arrive Friday.

o

I wanted a deep, dark purple. I hope it is. It will be planted with Little Beauty Tulips among purple /silver heucheras.

o

Van Engelen routinely sends bulbs that are larger than you will find from other sources. This time of the year, you may also occasionally receive 'exhibition size' bulbs at the normal price, because the extra large jumbo size, which is typically considerably more expensive, hasn't sold as well during the regular bulb buying season. Some years you will get more typically sized bulbs, but in general they sell top size. Their descriptions will give a size, but I've found that many of the bulbs sent will exceed the listed size.

I just got 50 Delnashaugh daffodil bulbs in my latest VE order, and they were simply huge--the bag of 50 was the size of a 10 pound sack of potatos, and each bulb was the size of a small apple. The Sagitta daffs were also massive--all triple nose, and although I only ordered 10, I received 12 and had to dig up an area twice the size I initially planned in order to fit them all in one spot. There's a reason I've been ordering from Van Engelen for almost 30 years!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here