Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

BloomingBulb.com Blow-Out Sale

MissMyGardens
14 years ago

In case any of you are as weak as I am...

Just got alliums and a few others I've been wanting but didn't have plans formed when needed to order 2 months ago.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Note: Bulbs are 40%-60% off but shipping is high in proportion to bulb cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: BloomingBulb.com Blow-Out Sale

Comments (22)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Yes, I saw that and was admiring the alliums, and a few daffs I don't have, and some muscari, and some Hyacinths, and, and, and.

I thought their shipping was pretty reasonable.

Product Total Cost per Order
    $20.00 or less $6.95
    $20.01 - $50.00 $10.95
    $50.01 - $100.00 $14.95
    $100.01 - $150.00 $18.95
    Over $150.00 13% of product total

I'm not ordering anything until I am finished, or near finished planting what all I already have. I hope to start planting tomorrow.

Sue

• MissMyGardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

At $21.80 for 90 bulbs and $10.95 shipping I only meant the shipping is higher proportion of total cost. That might be a negative for some people.

It didn't stop me from clicking on that "place order" button, though.

Allium - Atropurpureum
    Allium - Bulgaricum (Nectaroscordum siculum)
    Allium - Ostrowskianum (oreophilum)
    Muscari - Paradoxum (Bellevalia pycnantha)
    Scilla - Litardierei

These are all splurges of things I've admired. The Bulgaricum didn't over winter for me last year but I'll plant these in better draining raised bed this time. The little dangling bell flowers are so pretty.

I've got to hustle this weekend to plant or pot what I've already got. Soil temp was 50F yesterday so I guess I'm pushing it for proper root development.

14 years ago

At $21.80 for 90 bulbs and $10.95 shipping I only meant the shipping is higher proportion of total cost. That might be a negative for some people.
    I'm sorry, I understand better now what you meant.

I was thinking that if kept my order small (like under $20) that $6.95 wasn't bad. Then I was thinking about the $78 worth of bulbs I ordered earlier this fall from another place and their shipping was about $15. Not a bad deal.

You got some really cool bulbs at some very reasonable prices. I MUST not go there and look again.

I wonder what is up with Blooming Bulb. Just now, while I was there admiring all of their items with such nice sale prices, I had the same exact email come into my mailbox 3 different times. It is the exact same email I got from them twice yesterday. Might they know it wouldn't take much to throw me over the edge and place a big ole order, to make the postage costs well worth it? Those Giganteums and Pinball Wizards are very tempting.

Sue

• cheleinri
    14 years ago

Everyone might want to check the bulb size they are offering. This matters more for tulips than anything else. Top size tulips are 12 +.

• elleni
    14 years ago

I placed and order from them last Fall-- on November 17th! I got some nice bulbs and some extras they needed to get rid of!

I decided not to wait for the prices to drop even lower this year and placed a $19.95 order-- like others I could not justify getting one more thing and moving into the next shipping tier. My order was placed on Tuesday night (with a note to ship ASAP) and it just shipped today, scheduled delivery on the 10th.

• MissMyGardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue, I had the exact same tripled email experience but I thought it was post order phenomena.

"Might they know it wouldn't take much to throw me over the edge and place a big ole order..." made me laugh!

cheleinri, since deer/rabbits eat Tulips I only planted a small Darwin Hybrid Red & Yellow combo for my father...and that requires daily repellant spraying to keep them through blooming.

As far as I could see they didn't change the bulb sizes for the clearance sale...seemed to be same as before and comparable for these species to places like Brent and Becky's which I read for better description/photos in comparison.

Unlike Tulips they'll multiply if not top size to start and I don't slice into them in the future...LOL.

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I knew I shouldn't have peeked, had to order just a few. At least I have everything planted that I have gotten so far.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

Looked like some decent prices.... I (sounding real smug right now) resisted and didn't get a thing. So far this year I am showing remarkable restraint.

14 years ago

"Might they know it wouldn't take much to throw me over the edge and place a big ole order..." made me laugh!
    That was my thought exactly newbie. They have about convinced me, since I am feeling so good about getting strted with planting today.

21 little bags planted and only 250-300 to go. YIKES,,,had best get printing up some labels. I borrowed a neighbor's bulb augers today (3 sizes) and strung the extension cord way out through the front yard woods, only to discover my 3/8" drill wasn't big enough. I need a 1/2" drilland boyfriend is bringing me one tomorrow. I'm hoping that will speed up the planting process a bit.

Sue...feeling weaker by the moment

Wow...look at the Red Firecrackers are only $4.05 for 5 bulbs.

Look at the Allium Gigantium just $4.92 for 3 bulbs.

YIKES...outta here.

Sue

• suecirish
    14 years ago

I swore I wasn't going to look, but Sue you made me do it! LOL
    The Red Firecrackers are gorgeous - I never knew of them before. Maybe I'll just put them on my want list for next year. I just finished planting 200 bulbs last weekend. I keep repeating to myself "all I have left, all I have left" are the garlic and walking onions in the veggie bed. To do today.

BTW, I have 5 extra of each 'Mount Hood' (trumpet) Daffodils and 'Geranium' (tazetta) Paperwhites. I'd love to trade for 10 of one daff I don't have. Anybody got anything?

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

***just to clear things up..... when Sue says she has 250-300 more to go, I think she means BAGS of bulbs -not actual individual bulbs.... LOL!!!!!

• Nancy
    14 years ago

LALALALALA, I can't hear you Sue! I didn't catch that price on the allium. I looked at the red firecrackers too, but talked myself out of them.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

Is this a good company? I have not used them before. Is there an easy way to tell which categories are on sale?

How are they for lilies?

• elleni
    14 years ago

linnea56... I ordered from them last Fall and was happy with what I got. I just placed another order last week. Everything linked from the main sale page, URL below, is on sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: BloomingBulb Closeout Sale Page

• frangione1
    14 years ago

linnea56...I personally will never order from this company ever again. Sounds like everyone else likes them, but I ordered some plants (not bulbs) from them in the spring and a few did not do well and died. They supposedly guarantee their plants, but they ignored all of my e-mails. I can't do business with people like that, but that is just me.

• elleni
    14 years ago

frangione1, Sorry you had a problem. I also had an issue with my first order from them. I emailed them and was offered a refund or replacement, no hassle.

• MissMyGardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bulbs just arrived and they sent 3 free dwarf Amaryllis bulbs which are firm with long roots on them.

I got the same rush as with a Vanilla Hot Fudge Sundae...
    LOL.

Now I have to look up what to do with the Amaryllis bulbs!

14 years ago

I got the same rush as with a Vanilla Hot Fudge Sundae...
    I've never heard of a bulb rush referred to that way before. I do know when I went to the ADS Midwest Regional meeting, that I was too excited to eat once I saw all of the exchange bulbs spread out on 2 or 3 long tables. It was so exciting!

Sue

• MissMyGardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Specifically a Dairy Queen soft serve with extra hot fudge on the side. :)

Sue, are your fingers down to nubs after all those bulbs you had to plant? You're a force of bulb nature...LOL.

Leslie

14 years ago

Sue, are your fingers down to nubs after all those bulbs you had to plant?
    No, but the side of my left hand and one finger looks pretty bad. I am planting all these in the front yard woods, which means clearing off fallen limbs and the stick and leaf debris before stringing out the rows. I was also trimming up little trees so as to not get poked in an eye, (or ear like happened earlier this year) by little low hanging limbs. The pruning saw slipped and caught my left hand. I bled like a stuck hog, but kept at it. (The bleeding didn't last long) I'll not be using the saw any more without wearing some good gloves.

Who would have guessed that planting a lot of bulbs in a wooded setting would be such a chore? Not me, or I would not have procrastinated so long. In some areas I have had to clear out vines on the ground. Honeysuckle, Virginia Creeper, Poison Ivy? YIKES! I 'can' say though that the soil looks really good compared to the more clay like soil in the yard, veggie garden, and flower beds.

Oh, my favorite is a Peanut Buster Parfait with EXTRA Hot Fudge. Yum!

Sue

• elleni
    14 years ago

I got my order on Tuesday and also received three "mini" Amaryllis bulbs. The packing slip did not say what color they are, so it will be a surprise! I placed an order with them lasy Fall (on Nov 17th!!) and they sent several packs of extra bulbs.

• cynthianovak
    14 years ago

I couldn't resist any longer!

I was kicking myself for NOT ordering the anemones I wanted. Mr Fokker is not available anywhere else in this size. AND I kept wondering how Sylphide would look as a border in front of the French rose mix of French tulips from Colorblends... AND that Bulgaricum alliums would be a great gift...

OK you get the gist of this.

Mr Fokker was shown sold out last week, so if you've been kicking yourself, they might have recounted and you might get....well....lucky or maybe weak... I'm going for lucky

smiles
    c

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County