Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather0530_gw

What kind of flower is this????

heather0530
15 years ago

I bought these bulbs off of the internet and they sent several different types of bulbs. I have no clue what these are or how to care for them. I'm assuming they are some type of daylily because they were only opened throughout the day. I have already dug them up in case they aren't hardy in my zone 6 but I'm not sure what or how to store them for the winter. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Heather

{{gwi:31726}}

Comments (8)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

What an interesting bloom, but I am not familiar with it. It is not a daylily though, and daylilies are hardy to your zone anyway.

You might want to ask at the link below, as you will likely get an answer quite quickly. If it is hardy in your zone, it might be advised to replant it in a sheltered area, and mulch well, or something else to get it through the winter. Whatever it is, they can advise you I'd think, of the best way to keep it.

and...
    Welcome to Garden Web!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant Forum

• fxxy
    15 years ago

That is a Trigida, a Mexican bulb . NOT hardy in zone 6. Ocurs in several different colors.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

More correctly, that would be Tigridia pavonia, aka tiger flower or Mexican shell flower. The hardiness is similar to that of gladiolus - if you can successfully overwinter glads in the ground, you should also be able to grow Tigridia inground as well. Otherwise, plant them in spring for summer blooms and dig and store (as you would glads) over winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tigridia

• heather0530
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! I believe you are right. They said there were some of them in the bag but I wasn't sure which was which. I also had some bloom in red. Very pretty! I'm not sure if gladiolus are hardy in my zone or not. I've read yes and no but I don't know anyone who has them in my area. I pulled mine up anyway just to be safe. A couple questions, how do I store them and do the bulbs multiply? This season was my first ever to have a garden of my own and I really don't know too much. I'm learning though. Thanks so much!

• heather0530
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since everyone is sooo good at naming that flower, I have a couple more pics. This next one is very similar to a gladiolus but it's not one. At least I don't think it is. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first or last time.

{{gwi:31727}}

This next flower came up but never developed a flower. I don't think I planted it in time before it got too cold in my area. I should of got it in the ground earier in the season but I ordered these bulbs later. There are two of them to the left of the boxer statue, next to that little green bush (sorry I am horrible with names, I'm a beginner). All you can see is the stem and a couple of long leaves. I have a label next to them but it faded in the sunlight. I guess I'm going back to my black sharpie instead of my purple one. Thank you for all your help!!!

{{gwi:31728}}

Thanks,
    Heather

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I don't know what your coral colored flower is above, but will be interested in knowing what it is if you find out.

As far as the ones with only foliage...might they be a variety of amaryllis? The one in the link below is the only one I think that is hardy in our zone.

I guess I'm going back to my black sharpie instead of my purple one.
    Actually a lead pencil or china marker/grease pencil is even better when it comes to not fading.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Lycoris Squamigera

• ladychroe
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure that coral flower IS a type of gladiolus. It looks like a hardy gladiolus. That kind is usually sold in a mix so I don't know what the name of it is, but it's really pretty.

BTW, Sharpies fade within weeks for me. Like Sue said, try a grease pencil. I also use a ballpoint sealed with clear packaging tape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Gladiolus Images

• heather0530
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! I'm definitely going to get one of those pencils. Hopefully next year I'll be able to keep track of what's what with something that won't fade.