Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying anything new this Fall?

Posted by kato_b z5 NEPa (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 20:59

I did alot of planting this fall, all the bulbs I moved to the new yard from the old, plus clearance bulbs and a bunch of new named daff varieties. I'm looking forward to the spring of course, but I don't feel like I've added anything unusual or exotic. The only new bulb I'm trying is Fritillaria meleagris, the snake-head frit.... other than that it's stuff I've grown before.

Anyone trying something new?
Actually now that I think about it, I added a couple colchicums and fall crocus. Maybe the problem is I'm trying to rationalize buying something from Brent and Becky before the winter closes in completely. hmmmmmmm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying anything new this Fall?

Well Kato, as you know I am still planting. I for one will not be buying anything else.

Besides lots and lots of new daffs, I too have some new Colchicums, and some fall blooming crocus.

I also have
Hyacinthus orientalis Sky Jacket
Hyacinth Carnegie
Pink Impression Tulips
Big Smile Tulips
Nectaroscordum siculum
Double snowdrops 'Flore Pleno'
and Single snowdrops.

I figure that all of the bulbs I have already acquired, will supply me with enough 'new' blooms in 2009.

Sue

o

A double Muscari I have not seen before - Fantasy Creation. I also planted some Muscari Blue Spike which I had at my previous house and loved. It spreads so fast, hope to have a large bed of it in a few years circling my maple tree.

o

oops. I forgot about the Fantasy Creation muscari that were given to me. I hope they do well too!
I grew the Blue Spike once, but it seemed like they all went to regular blooms after a couple years. Have you ever seen that happen Mechele?

There's a "wintery mix" coming down outside. With slightly warmer temperatures I'm hoping that all my bulbs are happily rooting in and getting ready for next spring!

Sue- I thought I heard you mention you had a few of the multiflowering hyacinths. I've been eyeing those for a couple years.... but they always fall victim to a last minute budget cut.

o

Kato,
I started the Blue Spike from a handful (10-20?) of bulbs from Dutch Gardens and within a few years they spread to cover the ground at the base of the tree. They all stayed true to form and seemed to be spreading both by seed and bulb division. That has been my only experience with them. I did not grow any other types of grape hyacinth at that time. Could yours possibly have mixed with standard grape hyacinths growing in the area? Maybe they cross pollinated? Someone else out there might have some insight on that. Next spring I will have 3 types of muscari so I guess I'll find out eventually.
I'm waiting for the 80 Barrett Browning daffodils I ordered from Touch of Nature's sale a few nights ago after reading about end of season sales on another thread. I understand your budget cuts and have the same situation but I can't seem to help myself! I justify my purchases by telling myself what a good deal I got. Last winter I "rescued" several bags of clearance daffodils at Wal-mart long after the time they should have been planted but the price was right and the poor babies needed a good home. Very few blooms from them last spring but they should do well next spring.

o

Well, sort of. Two years ago I potted up six Nerine from a bag at Costco. They grew weakly but no sign of a bloom until this month when three of them decided to bloom. The flower is quite nice, the first I had seen other than a picture. Apparently this is a plant that requires patience. At least it is hardy in this area and could be added to the garden. Al

o

I am trying a new variety of hyacynthoides (Spanish Bluebells), called Excelsior. Somehow or the other I got some bluebells in a bulb order about five years ago. They came up and grew for two years without blooming and I just kept leaving them alone waiting for them to do something. My patience was rewarded. They are lovely and are now happily naturalizing in my shade garden. I read in the spring that Excelsior is taller and a more vivid blue. I am looking forward to seeing the comparison. Hope it doesn't take two years this time.

I also added Camassias to my beds, with my fingers firmly crossed, and about 100 new ipheion, "Rolf Fiedler" bulbs. I planted six of the ipheion as an experiment three years ago. They are the bluest bloom you ever saw, as blue as the sky. I want a puddle of them at the foot of my Vitex tree. The originals have probably already tripled in number, so hopefully the addition this fall will help spread my puddle faster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here