Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A good deal or not?

Posted by kato_b z5 NEPa (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 21:37

You get what you pay for. That's what I hear people say all the time and I have to disagree. Sometimes you get more.... But sometimes you get less. A lot less. I'm posting this because I often see great sales claims for bulbs that are 70 to 80% off, free shipping, top quality.... I of course am curious until I see what the price still is.
Today I got an 85% off clearance email deal on grape hyacinths. Five bulbs for something like a dollar forty five. I almost choked when I saw the original price of 9.99 for five bulbs!!!! Yikes!! A reputable company such as Brent and Becky's has them 10 for about 3 dollars.... That would be about a dollar fifty for five as an EVERYDAY price.
In general I'm wary of any seller that offers a lot of deals and coupons.... I could name companies but there are watchdogs out there if you just google.... And if you're still unsure, post here and get a second opinion. Just be careful, if it is a good deal we might encourage you to spend even more.
And btw, the Brent and Becky grape hyacinths are 10% off this week. 2.70 for ten :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A good deal or not?

This is why I don't buy plants except in person. I don't like surprises.

o

Our local Walmart is selling most of their bulbs at half price, so 40 tulips for $5, or 12.5 cents per bulb. The bulbs are healthy, a good medium size, but not much choice of colours left. I also got some hyacinths and narcissus for 33.3 cents each, and some crocus for 10 cents each.

o

Good deals ontnative, those cheap clearance (sam's club in my case) bulbs are what got me into trouble in the first place. How can you resist a bag of 60 or a box of 100 tulips for 7 or 8 bucks!? I'm sorta past the "don't know what you'll end up with" buying, and want to get pink tulips when I buy pink.... So I try to resist the box stores..... but don't always. Usually they are a case of you get at least what you pay for.

I don't mind buying from reliable places, even sight unseen, it's some of the other places that scare me. Again today a clearance sale email, one of the deals was 20 mixed Darwin tulips for 8.95..... Thalia daffs for almost 1 dollar a bulb....

I must be getting over excited for the real clearance sales..... I should probably just mind my own business.
Btw I have some generic daffs if anyone wants them for the cost of postage, first come, first served, just email me.

o

Apart from the "mixed" hyacinths (15) that I got on sale at Walmart, everything else was a single colour. I, too, do not like mixed colours of bulbs, unless it is only two different colours. Even then, I much prefer to buy my bulbs in single, described colours, with proper scientific name, etc. I potted up the hyacinths for forcing, so I can mark the colours when blooming. Then they can be planted out in the garden with others of the same colour.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here