Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Co-existence

Posted by big_deck 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 21:39

We just had a very pleasant experience with an on-line nursery. They sent 39 varies bulbs (grape hyacinths, Dutch Iris, Bouquet Tulips and Snow Crocus) as a Bonus in additon to our order.

Anyway, I prepared a spot behind a cinder block wall that is about 4' off the ground with about 18" of topsoil and a compost compound mixed in - on Sunday. It sits on about 4' of limestone as a french drain. I want the soil to freeze and thaw and settle before planting the bulbs - though I am not complaining about the mid-70's we had today.

Anyway, my question is, will these bulbs cohabitate and live happily ever after without encroaching on each other - and how far do I space them or can I just do like clusters according to how tall they get?

I'm not creating like a Mini-Middle East am I? (That is pre-election humor folks!)

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Co-existence

I would do clusters based upon height. Will they encroch? that all depends upon how happy they are...smiles.

I like Ductch iris and grape hyacinths. The gh's come up much earlier where I live and the DI follow later. The tulips should appear somewhere in between. nature choreographs things for a long show...if the varieties cooperate.

Look at it this way, watch them this year. You'll see who shows up when. After they foliage is done, you can rearrange. I've never found bulbs to battle, but I live in TX and we'd just love them to multiply more.
c

o
RE: Co-existence

Ok, we will see in the spring what the results are. My almost 3 year old granddaughter "has" to help Pap Brian, so we planted about 150 bulbs yesterday afternoon. I would get the trough dug and place the bulbs, and then she would move them around. I finally gave up and just covered them up where they stood.

We are in nothern West Virginia and it was 42 degrees when
we planted yesterday. Too cold for this old-fart, but it might be worth it in the spring :-)

Does anyone know how to attach a picture to a posting?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here