Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Galtonia candicans

Posted by hardytropicalguy z6 SWMI (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 21:58

I have a thing for South African plants and this would include Galtonia. I little known summer flowering Hyacinth relative. The bulbs that produced these flowers were originally from Brent and Becky's bulbs. They were planted in Tennessee and found their way north to Michigan. They are planted along a South wall so are in a protected position but are listed as hardy in my zone 6 garden. They are rated to zone 5 on Brent and Becky's website.
Galtonia candicans

Here is a link that might be useful: flower farm and Gardens Blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Galtonia candicans

I have been growing them for 15 years and they are one of my favorites. They multiply easily and also start from seed. They do not reseed themselves however. In my zone they take care of themselves, and only get summer watering here in dry summer California. Al

o

Wish I could get them at the right time of year! All the growers seem to make them available in the spring, while October is the right month to plant them in my climate. I have the same trouble with Lachenalia and Gladiolus.

Alas for the tyranny of the majority!
Kevin : ]

o

If the Lachenalias you're after are in leaf/bloom in spring you shouldn't have a problem. Just let them come to a natural finish and withhold water over the summer.

If they've been imported dry (end of our spring) hold them in cool dry over the summer (in soil, usually) then shake out and plant at the time that's right for you. Some of them can be held dormant for one-two years with no problem.

If you have a glasshouse - they definitely leaf up and have longer stalks in the reliable warmth (55-60F). Winter wet and active growth with very low frost. Go lightly on any high Nitrogen fertiliser. Wait until the leaves are well up before increasing the amount of water. Excellent air circulation required.

They don't mind dappled light but not full dim.

L aloides and L bulbifera are probably the easiest.

Galtonia - my neighbour grows them beautifully. From my bulbs. Which don't flower for me. She SAYS she does nothing special...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here