Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to expect?

Posted by miclino 5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 23:49

I planted Allium giganteum, hyacinth and miscari white bulbs for the first time. Are these like other bulbs? Does the foliage die off in early summer? Are they generally left alone by squirrels/deer/rabbits (my tulips get eaten).
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to expect?

Hyacinth and Muscari will have 'gone over' by midsummer. However, expect Muscari to start showing again in late summer /early autumn.

Not sure about the Allium, though the edible members of the family are mostly dormant over summer.

Rabbits don't usually bother the Hyacinths and Muscari. Swamp hens (pukeko) gleefuly shred the leaves of garlic and chives... sigh.

o

Thanks, do all three tend to spread over time? I know muscari does, not sure about the other ones.

o

The species Allium giganteum never does much for me here. It tends to fizzle out after a few years. The various hybrids like Gladiator and Globemaster are reliable and do multiply, rather freely in fact. I did lose an entire bed of Globemasters to a vole the winter before last, which made me just heartbroken, but this was the only time I've had problems. I don't think the vole maybe ate them, but just lived in the bed and shredded them to make tunnels. Who knows, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here