Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else badly treated by Breck's?

Posted by EAM44 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 0:13

I ordered and paid for bulbs (crocuses, tulips and irises) in October; the crocuses and irises came at different times, and I kept getting shipping "updates" regarding the tulips. Today I was sent an e-mail saying the tulip order was canceled and my money would be refunded.

For me the issue is that the tulips were in stock when I ordered them. Because I had them on order, I didn't buy from a competitor. They've had my payment for two months, and I will have no tulips in the spring. This is rotten customer service. I think they should offer to fill my order with whatever tulips they have in stock, and mail them overnight at their expense.

Have any of you experienced this kind of treatment from Breck's and if so, how did you deal with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else badly treated by Breck's?

All that I know is that Breck's does NOT have a good reputation, so cannot help you, unfortunately. At least they are refunding your money.

o

Before I order anything for my yard, I look the company up on garden watchdog.

o

I'd never heard of garden watchdog - cool site. Thanks for the tip. In the past year Breck's has had 17 negative reviews and 11 positive on that site. I wish I'd known to look there before.

You know, I used to sit with my mom and go through the Breck's catalog every year, and we would pick out the bulbs she would order together. It never occurred to me that they wouldn't produce the goods. And in this day of computerized inventories there is no excuse.

It's bad enough I'm not getting what I ordered. If they'd just been honest when I placed the order instead of stringing me along with false "future" ship dates, I could have bought bulbs from another company or chosen something they had in stock, and I would have probably ordered from them in the future. Now I'm angry, disappointed, and I've got nothing in the ground. They really are jerks.

o

Their "sale" is a con too. "One half off" turns out to be an inflated price, then 1/2 off brings it down to the normal selling price. No bargain, just sounds good.

I buy from Van Engelen. It's wholesale, so minimum purchase is $50.00, (which isn't that much) but when planting an area with bulbs, it's better to go big for impact = best price to pay for quantity. They always have tons of varieties left when they finally start their clearance sale in late fall. Tulips can be planted very late.

o

Ugh. Why am I not surprised? I'll check out Van Engelen.

The ground here in Ohio was warm and wet a few days ago, so lost opportunity I guess. Now we have cold and snow so I'm guessing it's too late...

o

Bulb companies shut down and close sales in December so yes too late for this year.

o

Breck's has a very bad rep; buy from Brent & Becky or Scheepers/Van Engelen (same place).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here