Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vetivert8

Narcissus 'Thalia' seeds

vetivert8
14 years ago

I'm harvesting capsules and seeds at the moment, and sowing.

Now these are randomly pollinated (I'm amazed the bees actually flew over the spring it was that wet 'n' miserable). It is most likely that the only pollen to arrive would have been from Thalia.

Anyone know if I'm likely to get the cyclamineus look? Or something interesting-er?

Love to hear. I know I've got a few years to wait and a few munching bugs to beat but I enjoy the anticipation just as much as the real results.

Comments (5)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi Vet!

I'm harvesting capsules and seeds at the moment, and sowing.
    What? Thalia is not seed fertile per the info below from Daffseek...also see link at the bottom.

Per the link below on Thalia at Daffseek...
    Seed Parent: N. triandrus subsp. triandrus var. triandrus
    Pollen Parent: 2W-W seedling
    Chromosomes: 21
    Fertility: Pollen Only

Since it lacks fertility for seed, my guess is that what you actually have is not Thalia. Might your records be wrong or something? Might it be another cultivar that you have planted close to your Thalia? btw...per a search at Daffseek for other 5W-W cultivars, which is what Thalia is, there are about 121 different cultivars. Possibly what you have been growing all along is not actually Thalia, but something that is quite similar.

Some daffs are pollen fertile as in the case of Thalia.
    Other daffs are seed fertile only as in the case of Flower Drift at Daffseek
    Then there are those that are both seed and pollen fertile ....such as Fragrant Rose at Daffseek

Last year I made up a spread sheet with the daff names and their div/color, season, height, and their fertility, as well as the chromosome count. I had hoped to try and make some deliberate crosses this past spring, but it never happened.

This is quite a conundrum, wouldn't you say?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Thalia at Daffseek

• vetivert8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They SAID! They PROMISED!! Waaahh!

But it looks like Thalia. And it has seeds. And I shall proceed from there because this is for my own amusement.

Sue: spreadsheets? Chromosome counts... You're not a Narcissaddict, by any chance??? ;-)))

Thank you very much for the link, and the info, too.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

They SAID! They PROMISED!! Waaahh!
    Well, unless the info on Daffseek is incorrect.

Sue: spreadsheets? Chromosome counts..
    Well I have to admit, I don't know how that chromosome count comes into play, or even if it does when it comes to making some deliberate crosses.

You're not a Narcissaddict, by any chance???

Is that anything like a daffodiladdict?

Sue

• vetivert8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Definitely daffodiladdict.

I know it is nearly midsummer and all (though more like mid-winter) but there were some potted miniatures at the garden centre... I think one was 'Jack Snipe'. All dormant at the moment...

It couldn't hurt to just look, could it???

Meantime - I'm up to the blue Ixias and the Scadoxus is bulking up beautifully.

• vetivert8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well. It happened. Three pots of Jack Snipe at half price. I'm not sure whether they were coming or going but they either were finishing their roots - or starting new ones. It looked like new roots...

Most of the bulbs had offsets. It's clearly a good wee multiplier.

One pot's worth into the rockery and the rest into a fancy pot. I'm still pleased. :-))))