Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaryllis 'Red Lion' leaves turning dark red

Posted by WonderWeasel none (Soulfly865@aim.com) on
Thu, Dec 29, 11 at 5:11

Hello-

I recently purchased a Red Lion Amaryllis bulb kit from Home Depot. The bulb I'd received had several new green leaves (about 1/2"-1" length). I potted it up using the dehydrated coco coir disc that came with it and placed it under my fluorescent light fixture (a t5 fluorescent tube fixture with one cool white and one soft white bulb, placed about 1" above the top of the plant.) The next day, I noticed some streaky red spots on the leaves, but didn't think much of it. The day after that, the leaves have turned a dark red, and seem to have a slight pliability to them compared to when I first bought the bulb. I've included a picture of the leaves (sorry for the clarity, I had to take the pic with my cell phone). My main concern is whether or not this is a normal reaction for a plant that has been starved for light for so long and suddenly begins getting a regular dose of it, or if there is something wrong with the bulb, and I should return it. Any and all help/advice is appreciated!

--Jordan

IMG_20111229_034736

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaryllis 'Red Lion' leaves turning dark red

I'd suggest you asking at the link below, as it is quite active.

My guess is that the bulb and foliage went into shock due to too much light, too quickly, but someone will know for sure, (I imagine anyway) at the link below.

I hope your Red Lion can be salvaged.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

o

To me that looks like a flower bud, not leaves. In which case it is supposed to be red. Your bulb looks like a double bloomer. The leaves will appear later. I just grow my Amarylis on the kitchen counter. There seems to be enough light from the windows without any special care. They are pretty much fool proof. Don't worry. Enjoy your flowers.

o

It's normal for plants to produce red pigment as a defense mechanism when they are shocked with sudden light. But normally you'd have a little pale green or white area at the base of the buds where the new tissue is emerging from the bulb and has not yet been exposed to light.

The buds in that picture also look like they may be dead. Is it possible that the plant froze? Only wait a couple days to see if more emerges to find out.

o

I am still pretty much 100% certain those are the flower buds and not leaves. They almost always appear before the leaves on these prepared Amaryllis. I don't see anything wrong with that plant at all. The ready potted Amaryllis sold in shops for Christmas are intended to be put straight into a warm light room. I grow them every year and have never had one 'go into shock'. In fact I have one in front of me right now. Just keep it sufficiently watered and wait. They are the easiest things in the world to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here