Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant ears

Posted by ladycraft 6b MO (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 6:35

I brought some small elephant ears in this year. Do they need to rest? Or should I just keep them alive? Thanks Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant ears

• Posted by donaldb 5B Worcester, MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 11:20

I take care of them as you would if they were outdoors.I have the space so in they come to the sunroom and are basically treated like house plants Others will take care of them as you would canna lilies and dry off the bulb, store in a cool place and wait for spring.Growers choice.

o

Here they stay in the ground year around. When we have a substantial frost the foliage frosts to the ground. They grow back from the roots, which are very massive. I don't know just how low a temperature the roots will take. They don't need a dormant period and often we do not get a cold enough winter to frost them back and they look good all winter. Al

o

See how they like your house. If they don't like the conditions they might yellow off and if that's the case let them dry off in the pot and start watering again when things start to warm up in the spring.

o

This is our second year overwintering elephant ears. At first some of the leaves may turn yellow and wilt, cut them off as the new ones emerge. We water generously all winter. This summer it was more than seven feet tall and we were able to take 6 new starts off it when we potted it up again this winter. One didn't make it the others looked ghastly for about 2 weeks, but all are thriving now. The mamma was so big we almost cut it up in hopes of storing just the bulb last week, but it surprised us by sending up a flower spike. The flower only partially opened but the flower was more than a foot long kinda like the flower on a peace lily and yellow-orange (my favorite color). I know others who've had success storing the bulbs but at this point we still haven't had the heart.

MARY

o

I had no idea they flower. It must be happy. Some people leave them in the ground here. I will dig the one that is in the ground because I need to move it. Thanks Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here