Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Species tulips not sprouting

Posted by khabbab 10b (muhammad.khabbab@gmail.com) on
Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 8:16

Hi,

I live in Lahore, Pakistan a subtropical semi-arid climate. Winters are mild not below 5c and summers are long and very hot. One of my friends bought few tulip clusiana bulbs from USA from southern bulbs company in mid october. I planted them on 1st November some in soil bed and some in pots. Temperature was around 22-28C then. But from December 1st, temperature has gone to 10C. Temperature will drop to 5c in coming days.I thought i should have pre-chilled these in fridge but my friend stopped me and told me that he had clear instructions that no need to chill these one.

I checked the ones in large plastic pots yesterday, no roots. They are in bright in-direct sunlight. Put them in a mixture of 30% garden soil, 30% leaf compost, 20% peat moss and 20% sand. All other bulbs are sprouting in almost similar media but not tulips. They are still firm though. Any idea?

Khabbab
http://www.lahoregardening.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Species tulips not sprouting

Everything sounds OK to me. Maintain soil moisture and sunlight and I would expect them to grow on their own schedule. Al

o

I have noticed the tulip bulbs in the ground have swollen to double size, it think it is a good sign. How much time would they take to grow roots and foliage?

o

I would have expected roots and soil breaking by now. I always chill my tulips for two months before planting, but even without chilling they should grow, it is the blooming I would be concerned about. I don't see how you can do anything now ,but wait. Al

o

Perhaps it's still too cold and they're waiting for spring to warm them up.

They should be watered well upon planting (not as much after that) to trigger them to begin growing roots.

Most tulips begin rooting and growing underground over winter, and break the surface in the spring. But maybe this is a variety that doesn't do that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here