Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ranunculus & Tulips in pots

Posted by gw2010nc 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 8:34

I had planted ranunculus corms/roots and tulip bulbs in large plastic pots on 11/14. I had just seen one ranunculus shoot begin to emerge last weekend. But the last couple of days the nighttime temps went below 20F and this morning I could feel the pots as hard as a rock - meaning they were frozen.
The little shoot that had begun to emerge seemed to have aborted - it didnt look fresh green.
Are these ranunculus killed? I am in Durham, NC - zone 7b.
I guess the tulips will be ok?
Should I be bringing the pots into the garage when the temps are forecast to be below freezing? Right now the pots are on my back patio.
Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ranunculus & Tulips in pots

Some of my ranunculus are also showing foliage and when we were going to be at 32 degrees I brought the pots onto the porch, not trusting even that temp.

I'd carefully remove the ranunculus to 4 inch pots and hold those in a protected place. After temps rise, replant. The tulips like the low temps. which is why I suggest the nuisance of removing the ranunculus

Moral: never plant semi-tropicals with 'freeze-lovers'.

o

Thanks for the reply. Actually, the ranunculus and tulips are in seperate pots. I brought them all into the garage last night and have left them in there. Our cold spell is going to last until atleast next Wednesday, so I will leave them in the garage until then.
I just hope that the ranunculus will survive and thrive.

o

I plant ranunculus into the ground. I'm zone 7b in TX. They can take more cold than you might think. Of course, pots are different and it migth be wise to take them in.

Our soil never freeze, but the surface gets pretty cold and often for several days here between D and Fort Worth in Arlington, TX

o

I agree with iris_gal to keep ranunculus protected. Here, we plant ranunculus in soil bed and after blooming till april, they survive our hot summers and sprout again in october/november. No problems in our mild winters :)

I do not think tulips should have any problem at your temperature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here