Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Say it's not too late

Posted by jmac_2008 6b Texas Panhandle (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 11, 08 at 9:55

Hello everyone,
I fell vicitim to to several end-of-season bulb sales, and a few of my bulb shipments will arrive later than expected (next week vs. this week.) Unfortunately, I won't be in town to plant these bulbs (hyacinths, tulips and irises) until mid to late Jan 2009. The bulb companies assure me that if the ground is not frozen solid, I should go ahead and plant them in January or even February. In the meantime, the bulbs will be kept in a cool dark and dry place.

Have you planted spring blooming bulbs in January or February? Did it work? Thanks for your responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Say it's not too late

It's not too late. As soon as the bulbs come, put the tulips and hyacinths into your refrigerator in a section separate from your fruit. Leave them there 8 to ten weeks (I always mark my calendar), then plant them outside (in pots if your ground is too hard).

What kind of iris?
Dutch: plant right away
reticulata: plant right away
Bearded: I would plant in a pot and put them outside in spring. They won't bloom for you next spring anyway.

o

I fell victim too!! Bought daffodils, tulips, aliums,hyacinths,crocuses...
I plan to throw them into the ground in bunches.
Worst comes to worst, you can always force them indoors and enjoy them indoors.
Never done it before but seems easy.
Anna

o

Hyacinths can be kept refrigerated for about 6 weeks, then brought out and placed in coffee mugs and similar little containers with a few stones to hold them in place, for Valentine gifts. They don't have to be in bloom, just have some green showing the promise. Seeing the bud form and grow and bloom is part of the charm.

Nell

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here