Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portia_gw

Forcing Narcissus, not paperwhites

portia
9 years ago

Google wasn't that helpful with this particular question... I have some Flower Record leftovers from my 250 pack box from Van E's sale...would like to try forcing them inside this winter.

I've done paperwhites for years now, super easy. So, I started the FR's the same way about a week ago, in small rocks in pots of water, water barely touching the bottoms, but as of today, only about 1/3 have sprouted roots...the rest are in various stages of green stem tips showing or slight powdery mildew starting on the bulb.

Took them all out, planted the ones with obvious roots together in one container, and now contemplating the rest of them.

Thinking I leave them out in sunlight on a flat cookie tray in our sunroom, and just spritz them with water for a few days to see if I can get roots going before planting? Almost all of them have green stem tips showing...so I feel like they are on the cusp.

Any other suggestions? Is this a foolhardy exercise? (I'll probably still try it since I have a fair amt of leftovers!)

Does anyone spray with fungicide before forcing inside?

It's funny how out of about 30 bulbs, the ones that sprouted roots have a giant plethora of them, but the others are still sleepy. Wonder what makes it want to 'go'.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner